I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carp Rod (not Chris)
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 11, 2007 10:39PM

Had an inquiry about a Carp rod. Don't have a clue. Blank length, power, etc.Could use some input from the European contingent

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carp Rod (not Chris)
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 11, 2007 10:58PM

Mike
What size of carp will the inquiree be fishing for? Most of the carp rods I have seen are in the 11 to 13 foot range with line weights raning from about 4 to 15 pounds. CTS has some pretty sweet carp rod blanks. [www.ctsfishing.com]
You will need to find out how he/she is going to fish for them as well ie. float, ledgering (bottom fishing) etc.
I'm sure there are much more experianced carp hunters out there than I, but this should give you a starting idea.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.7.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 11:37PM

Had some good input at first but then I saw it wasn't about the Chris type. hahahah

I love fishing for carp and always have. In my area, carp are a great 2nd option when the "good fish" aren't biting. For general midwest carp and how to catch em, think Channel cats. A decent quality glass or composite medium power, medium action about 6-8 feet, will be a good bracket. If you are making something for someone across the big lake where carp fishing is a whole different sport, they will most likely have different advice.

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:46AM

Mike~

Email sent.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 07:26AM

Pac Bay has a series of Carp Blanks. They are the European type long 2 pc., but any longer spinning blank would do, 8' or longer, med-lite to med-heavy. I would ask what pound line the person wants to use and build accordingly.

Hope this helps,
Marc

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 07:27AM

mike ,around here the carp fishing is mosly done at pay lakes and is quite a competition that can get into the thousands of dollars. i looked at most of the local rods and saw all kinds. the predominate ones were 7' baitcasting in the med heavy range. some of these fish they are catching are 50 + lbs. it is not the european carp fishing i have read about.

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 08:45AM

Hi Mike
I carry a whole line of European carp rod blanks from Harrison and MSC blanks, they are usualy between 10 and 13 ft. long
Best Regards Mark Crouse
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 09:34AM

Don't look at ME, have not had occasion to build one, had not occasion to fish for any, do catch a few involentarily after the steelhead run in the spring and FYI one of my custom rods would start with a "K" for those keen to detail in their work. Like the play on words, always have since about 2nd grade, but do like any attempt at humor on this board. Moreover, I did write a book that better details chat-site humor, one would be remiss in their comedic o/l education to be without it.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 11:06AM

I watched an ex bass circuit pro, who is now into carp, haul in a 21 lb carp last summer from a local pond. The rod was a heavy medium action 9 footer as I recall. He lopped a fairly small and weighted but light bait like he was surf casting, and let it bottom sit while he watched for bubbles. He rested the rod into a stand (I think it supported the rod more in the upper end, but I dont recall). The carp was heavy, but didnt seem like much of a fighter. I figured a longer version of a cat rod might do the trick. Locals are concerned that the intoduction of carp into our ponds, to 'reduce' some of the weed, will ruin the habitat and the bass population as well. The number of carp is noticeably increasing each year, but so far the bass are holding strong.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 12:49PM

The biggest carp I have ever caught was on my 16 foot HMG float rod with 8# main line and a 4# leader.
Weight was 55#.
You need to get some more info about how they will be fishing and line weight.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:04PM

Mike

There are several methods here used for carp

1 Feeder fishing with a weighted feeder which hold ground bait, maggots, hemp etc. The rods for this are powerful in the butt for casting the feeder and very supple in the tip secion. Most come with multi quiver tip for bite detection

2 Ledger rod used for your standard "sinker/bait" rig. These are usually rated in pound test curves. If its rated at lets say 1 1/2 pound test curve it will take a pound and one half to deflect the rod 90 degrees to the horizontal. That should give you an idea of what the rod is like ie stiffness. Most use electronic bite detectors that are clipped to the line while in the holder.

3 Float/Match rods used for fine tippets and very small hooks. Still beefy in the butt section but has a more uniform action but not as beefy as the feeder rod

4 Specialty rods like a spod rod. This is a giant feeder which is filled with bait and used to feed a swim at distance. Usually 3 to 4 pound test curve

Youll need to ask what he will be using it for to narrow your choice.

Most of these rods are quite long as Mark said 11 to 14 feet.

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 01:01AM

Thanks for all the info, guys!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster