I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira Thread
Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 08:39PM

I started a rod today with Madeira Thread. This is my first experience with this thread. I found this thread very!! difficult to work with on a butt wrap. It does not like to be burnished. I found thread tension to be difficult to adjust to get compact wraps. I want to make weave on the butt wrap. Is there any tricks or suggestion as to how to work with this thread? Are the difficulties I am experiencing unique or is something wrong with me. As of right now this rod is Alpha/Omega.

Ed Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira Thread
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:03PM

I haven't had any problems like that with burnishing, etc. I love it. I don't power wrap so I can't speak for that.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:27PM

Make sure you are using Polyester and not Rayon thread....The Rayon is a BEAST to work with.

I Know!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:35PM

It's all user error. How are you burnishin, and what does not liked to be burnished" mean? Thread tension is easier to control than Gudebrod since it stretches.

Posted by: Tom Walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2007 01:44AM

I will try to help. Are you using 40wt thread or the 65wt thread? If you are using the 65wt thread it is to thin and breaks very easy. The 40wt stuff is about the same as size A thread. If that is what you are using and still having trouble with it, maybe you have a bad spool and can take it back. Remember it is sewing/embroidary thread and was never intended for fishing rods. That's the best I can do for you. Good luck!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 08:20AM

I've used the 60wt a few times, you just have to adjust your techniques and it will work just the same as 40wt. No slipping while packing with a metal thread tool, that's for sure, lol.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 09:20AM

I am using 40 wt. polyneon (Polyester). I think I am going to hand wrap it the next time. Indeed it is beautiful threat and the variety of colors are numerous.. I am burnishing with thumb nail, Gudebrod nylon burnishing tool, or needle pick (as a last resort). Billy, I did see you working with that metal tool in HP. Swampland had some, but when I went by their booth no one was their to take my money (4:00 PM Sunday). I should have left three bucks and taken two. If at first you don't suceed, try again.

Thanks for the commends.

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster