I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No room to weave
Posted by: Larry Holt (76.209.223.---)
Date: March 10, 2007 03:36PM

I have been tasked with placing an intricate weave on two very small diameter blanks. As there is no way for the weave to possibly fit the blank diameter, I am going to sand down an area large enough on the cork foregrip and try weaving over the grip. I tried some finish on the cork last night and it came out pretty nice. Has anyone out there ever tried this before?? Help or recommendations gladly accepted!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No room to weave
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2007 05:17PM

You could install some graphite tubing in place of the cork foregrip and weave on that.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 05:32PM

You could say NO, lol.

Date: March 10, 2007 09:43PM

Ahh Billy, you know better than that. Never say never. I thought about Tom's idea but I would have to place a very large piece of tubing over the blank and if it didn't impact the action, it certainly would the weight.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 11:38PM

Larry; I'd have to see the pattern and the blank to make any suggestions. I can't tell from what you have said how much too large the pattern is. You could reduce the weave size by using 000 Silk and "A" as the wrapping thread. You might also just make a new and smaller pattern. If you only need just a little more circumference you could wrap the blank like an under wrap and put the weave over that.

Date: March 11, 2007 12:04AM

Jim, I've done the weave once before using A and it was still very large. It's the Marine Corps Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The blank is a 6-8lb trout rod so I don't think weaving on the blank is an option. That leaves a very large sleeve, the reel seat or the cork. The seat is cocoboa and very expensive, so I don't think I want to change it. That leaves the cork, or a sleeve. Not much room here. I'm going to try the cork first, if it doesn't work, well onto a sleeve!

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 12:15AM

I don't do any of the fancy thread work, but I have an idea... what if you put a section of blank in front of the foregrip for lack of a better term call it an oversleeve. Just find a section of an old blank that has the diameter and length you need then use some shims and glue it up. I know it would leave a ridge at one end but you could make the transition with a winding check or thread and epoxy. It would sort of look like a telescoping blank except it won't telescope lol.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. Stan

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 01:36AM

If the diameter and length creates a problem! Why not do a feather inlay or marbleize the blank?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2007 01:53AM

Maybe try the idea of using 00 or 0 thread for the design and A for the wrap around thread. One other idea you may want to try is taking some tape to create a channel where you want to do the weave. Build it up alittle to increase the size of the circumference of the rod. Epoxy the tape to the rod so that the level of the epoxy comes to the top of the tape. Then once the epoxy has cured, cut the tape out and leave the epoxy around the rod. You now have a channel to do your weave in, no threads walk out of the channel, and it stays straight. One thing to remember if you do that, you will have to thin some epoxy out to build up where you put your pattern, otherwise you will have air bubbles in your pattern big time. Good luck!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 08:23AM

Stan, Mike Joyce's Dragon Eye weave is EXACTLY that. Larry is afraid to add weight to teh blank though.

MAybe do the weave on the piece of Carbon Fiber the wa Tom suggested, then install that as part of your grip? Basically teh same as doing it on cork, but the surface seems to me like it would be easier to work on.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.dsl1.pco.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 10:33AM

Depending on how much you need to increase the circumference, the suggestion by Jim to do an under wrap works well. (been there ,done that)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 11, 2007 11:48AM

Batson has a tapered (also straight grip)woven graphite foregrip that is very light/attractive that you might want to consider. Would work good for placing a weave.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 11, 2007 03:17PM

If you are going the fore grip route I would turn the area of the weave under size so that the finished product will end up even with the original diameter. Another thing I would do is to lay down a couple of coats of finish in the channel before starting, this will make it easier to move your threads around when you do your weave.
Just my .02

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: March 11, 2007 06:18PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster