I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

splining error
Posted by: STEPHEN GONZALEZ (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 11:59AM

Put the evp on then splined the rod. Put the reel seat on last night and re splined it again and it is about 1/8 or so of the main line. With the calstar 800h blank, is this going to cause a torq problem when the rod is loaded? I know there is not much I can do but not let it happen ever again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: splining error
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 12:17PM

Stephen,
If you spiral wrap it torque problems will be non-existent. Randy.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 12:21PM

Spinning or acid...you'll never know the difference. Wrap it & don't look back.

When doing guides-on-top rods I try to line everything up on the sp(l)ine (no "L" in the word). When building spinning or acid/spiral rods the spine never even crosses my mind as I build along the straightest axis instead.

Jay

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 12:59PM

Jay,
In the old Clemens books it's referred to as spline. The first time I ever heard or saw in print it called spine was in Don Phillips book, The Technology of Fly Rods, which was published in 2000. No matter how it's spelled it means the same thing. To those who do not believe that the spline (spine) makes a difference when building fly rods should read Chapter 7 of Don's book. It explains in technical terms what it is, the causes and the affects.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:28PM

Book or no book, I just don't buy that it makes a difference. Just a PERSONAL opinion, but no matter where you put it, it will be in a different position when you cast or retrieve and on a fly or spinning rod, the guides are on the bottom which would negate any torque effect. ITHINK that it's important because some "legend" said it was important many years ago.

This is just MY opinion and I have no technical info to support it but I have seen none that would negate it either. I would build to the straightest axis.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:42PM

Not aligning the spine or spline is of so little consequence to the performance of the finished rod that it will not be able to be measured by any means.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.144.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:44PM

Those old myths die hard, don't they?

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 02:04PM

I quit "spining" rods last year......now I build along the "offset radial axis". Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 04:57PM

Hush! Don't tell Emory. He''ll question your sensitivity.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2007 05:06PM

Torque does not come from rod spine, it comes from guide position versus the direction the load is applied from.

Posted by: STEPHEN GONZALEZ (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 07:56PM

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.240.159.63.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 09:43PM

Stan wrote: “Not aligning the spine or spline is of so little consequence to the performance of the finished rod that it will not be able to be measured by any means.”

Call it what you wish, but it can be measured by several means. Very few rods are radially symmetrical. Consequently, if you rotate the rod along its length and measure either its ERN or frequency at different degrees of rotation, you can indeed measure something. The ERN could vary by as much as 0.2 and the change in frequency is noticable. As to what effect that has on performance, it depends upon one’s definition of performance.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2007 09:29AM

I won't have much if anything to do with rod performance, but as Dr. Hanneman said, you can measure it. Provided, of course, that you have a system of measurement that contains enough resolution to record such minor differences. The CCS does, in fact, have enough resolution to do just that. On most freshwater type rod blanks, the difference between the softest and stiffest axii falls into a range of about .2 to .3 ERN.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster