I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alum cork inlay jig
Posted by: paul vonderwall (144.138.242.---)
Date: March 09, 2007 05:39PM

hi paul here can some one help me i have just brought alum cork inlay jig one side cuts the pie shapes what doe's the other side do as no idea but it has cork in it i have been tring to wrap my brain around it to see what it doe's but that why need help thank you paul and also the alum slicing jig as well i no what that is for

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alum cork inlay jig
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 05:45PM

The other side is for making Checker Board Inlays.
Like this.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: March 09, 2007 05:56PM

hi dave just had a look nice i think i just worked it out mine a double one one side has 8 slits and that makes shapes other side v shape with slits i think that longer but thanks for your but i will hang in there nice work

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 05:57PM

The slicing jig is just that. You can slice thin slices of cork to make bands to go in your grip. For example, you can slice some dark burl and use it as in the photo that Dave is showing you. The other side of the pie jig can be used to cut a different shaped piece although I have never used it.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 06:11PM

The other side of mine is for cutting "V" shaped peices, if you put 2 back to back you have a diamond among other things.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Posted by: paul vonderwall (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: March 09, 2007 06:17PM

hi stan paul here my is like the in the photos its the exacts like the in the photos mine has the v shape as well thank you

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 06:17PM

Stan is correct about the other side of the aluminum jig. It cuts pieces for inlaying diamond shaped designs into the grips. I do not have a picture of a grip with the diamond inaly, but maybe someone will post one. You have to cut two cork rings to make the diamond look. The jigs are back in stock and available for shipping. If anyone is interested in one, just contact me.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: March 09, 2007 06:27PM

thanks bob just worked it out so have playing to do but thank you will be back to shop with you as i am getting my roof done 3 weeks time i would to come see how it is done but it is 2 far away but thanks for all of your help

Date: March 10, 2007 12:46AM

Paul I posted a couple of pics of things you can do with that side of the jig.

Good luck and have fun.

Stan

Date: March 10, 2007 05:10AM

hi stan very nice work i like the flame work and the diamond work thanks for your help i need the luck once i worked it out i will put my work in local in octeber thanks stan

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:41AM

Paul you asked a question elsewhere about using sanding blocks for making grips or rings. Where you asked is a good place for getting fish fry recipes but not so good for rod building info.

Yes you can make grips from them. They will be heavier than regular cork because they are composition cork. Granulated and rejoined with adhesive. Use a hole saw and drill your rings to whatever diameter you want. The blocks are about 2" thick usually so you end up with very long rings which I think is fine. The center drill in the hole saw will bore the center hold for you and you can then bore it larger and mount to the mandrel that closest matches your rod blank. The composition cork will sand and turn just like wood.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 09:43AM

Stan -- Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures of the possibilities, when using the inlay jig. That is darn nice handle work that you are doing!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: March 10, 2007 05:10PM

hi shawn thank you also i would like thanks every one here even bob never met the but sounds like he is cool but cheers to all yes the is very nice with cork block thank you to all

Date: March 10, 2007 05:11PM

Paul you are welcome, thanks for the nice words.

Stan

Date: March 10, 2007 05:54PM

thats ok i hope i can my work like that as good as you but practis make perfect yeah catch ya

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster