I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sticky Finish?
Posted by: James Goughnour (---.payson.az.npgco.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 04:08PM

I've never seen this before. A guy brought in a 2 year old rod which appeared to have been placed on something hot although he didn't say anything strange had happened to it. The wraps on the lower two guides appeared to have melted. While taking the guides off, I found something very sticky on the guide feet. This stuff was on the guides and about half of the wraps, as I removed wraps past the ends of the guides it was fine. I was able to get it off with D-Alcohol but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what might have caused this. The other guides appear okay but if something was done incorrectly during the building I might have doubts. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sticky Finish?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2007 04:13PM

The guides might have taped on with Duct Tape or similar, which as you might know tends to leave a pretty sticky mess. He may have just gone ahead and wrapped over it.

Could be any sort of adhesive, really. Hard to say what the last man used or tried to do there.

Date: March 09, 2007 04:22PM

This was more than tape residue, since the wraps appeared melted, distorted or sunken I was thinking maybe the finish mix was done incorrectly and it nevery dried? Is that possible, especially with the rod being two years old?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 06:10PM

Is it possible that the first coating on some of the guides was mixed improperly resulting in a tacky finish which was second coated with a properly mixed batch?

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 08:59PM

Maybe it's residue from Flex Coat guide feet adhesive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2007 09:00PM by Randy Search.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 12:22AM

I'll bet it was someone who never could get the 1st coat(s) of finish to cure so they mixed new finish and re-coated them. I never have understood why so many say to do this "fix". If the finish wont cure, remove it and start new! Covering it up is just that..... covering, and it wont cure a finish that will never cure underneith.

DR

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 02:08AM

I've had a few factory rods that I repaired that had what felt like uncured epoxy below the outer coating, those looked ok but when I cut into the wrap to replace a bad guide, the inner layers and thread were still sticky or wet. I've seen this on quite a few rods lately. I just sort of figured that it was due to a rush job at the factory or a bad mix of the epoxy if that was indeed what they had used. I have had a few that I have wondered whether they were using actual epoxy or some other coating, I would think that a factory building rods would use something faster than epoxy?
I haven't had any that looked melted, but I have seen a few older customs that had a burnt look, sort of a severe case of yellowing and even some surface blstering.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 02:37AM

You'd think if like he said, the sticky substance was only on the wraps where the guide feet were, and not on the wraps that were on the blank, This would rule out a bad 1st coat thread epoxy mix, otherwise the stickness would be more uniform and over the entrie length of the thread wraps. Who knows if guide foot cement was used some other substance which from some of the facts presented, would fit the bill more closely. He did not say if this melted apperance was sticky on the surface also? Melted looking yet cured? Hard to narrow with the info provided

Date: March 10, 2007 10:57PM

I am always enlightened by others perspectives. I agree with Chris that if the mix was bad the entire wrap would be bad and this is not the case. Once I unwrapped past the foot, the remainder of the wrap and the trim wrap were fine. The wraps were hard and dry on the outside. Tom's reply that someone used duck tape or some tape with a large amount of glue somehow sounds more understandable now that I've read your replies. In any case, I got the stuff of the blank and rewrapped the guides today. Looks as good as new.

Thanks
Jim
Rim Country Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster