I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vegetable oil on cork?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 08:36AM

I turned a burl cork handle a month ago, rubbed it with regulard vegetable oil (canola I think), and it looked great. I buffed it dry, and it doesen't feel slick. It still looks great a month later. When I run it uder water it doesen't get slippery. This seems to work great, as long a you buff it pretty dry after application

Anyone else done this, and could the oil hurt the cork or glue long term?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegetable oil on cork?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 08:55AM

Just curious...what would possess you to try that?

Date: March 09, 2007 08:58AM

Just trying something other than Tru oil to bring out the color of the cork.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:03AM

I love the experimenting people do when building rods. Using vegetable oil on cork makes sense to me, as cork is really a wood, and there are many applications where oiling wood creates a beautiful finish. I just refinished an old table by sanding and applying about 100 coats of tung oil, and the old thing looks great. I don't see why you couldn't do something similar with a cork grip.

I personally would never put vegetable oil on my cork handles, because if I did my brother would probably eat them. But I like the idea.

Date: March 09, 2007 10:09AM

Exactly what I am thinking Chris. This might help for me too, as my brother usually eats my lunch before I get to it when we go fishin', so maybe he'll chew his grip instead!

Marc

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.43.192.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:44AM

Marc,
If you used canola oil or any unsaturated oil (olive oil, corn oil, safflower oil, etc.), these oils contain chemical bonds that are very susceptible to oxidation. This means that the oil will turn rancid over time. It is possible that drying may retard this process, but I'm not sure of the longevity of these types of oils as a finish. I also suspect that there are many microbes in nature that can "feed" on these types of oils.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: March 09, 2007 11:07AM

I agree that cork is like wood and this application make sense to me. I used to build fancy multi wood cutting boards and the only finish was cooking oil or mineral oil. Other finishing oils containt toxins that you do not want on food. I am going to give this a try on some cork too. Thanks for the experiment.

"If you don't know where you are going then any road will get you there"

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 12:12PM

There was a post on another board recently, where a can of peanut oil had leaked onto some rods and ruined the cork. I imagine this was a slow leak over a long time, but something to consider.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 12:23PM

So now you can turn your cork , and eat it too.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 12:33PM

I had some cork laying around one day and threw some motor oil on a ring to see what would happen - I'll see what it does to as far as shedding water etc. I never thouht about that, I was looking at darkening the color. Also tried some standard stains and hae some ideas I'm going ot play around with. I'll be sure to let you guys now what turns out.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 01:31PM

What about flies?

I would think that it would draw insects?

When I was a kid, a buddy oiled his bycycle chain with cooking oil and in a few hours it was covered with bees, ants, and other insects.

I would also be concerned as to what other things are also in vegitable oil, there is most likely sugars and other undesirable items in there such as proteins, carbohydrates and lipids. i would also worry that their could also be a degree of salt or other more corrosive elements in food grade oil.
While many oils used for industrial purpose such as Linseed oil and Tung oil, but I believe that all natural or bio degradable oils will eventually turn rancid. I would do some research on these oils before using them for anything other than their common uses.

Posted by: Mark Lawton (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 09, 2007 08:19PM

I think raw linseed oil... the stuff you put on cricket bats.... would also make the cork look good.... mite try it on my next rod.....
Mark

Goodoo Dreaming

Posted by: michael r anderson (67.128.141.---)
Date: March 11, 2007 11:56AM

I rebuilt a bamboo rod last month and used Forby's Tung finnish on the blank. Later when I made a sliding band seat out of cork, I decided to see what the tung oil would do to the cork. It turned the cork quite dark. The grip was assembled with 1/4" thick cork rings. The ring lines where brought out by the tung, but so was the filler. I like how it "aged" the rod handle and matched the darker tone of the bamboo. Maybe with flor quality cork, the grip would look better (obviously).

Mike

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 02:13PM

I use permagloss, wipe it on with a coffee filter and rub it in until I get a nice even look. Works GREAT.

DR

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:08PM

I just finished a grip & used TRU oil on it looks great!!

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster