I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork tape
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: March 09, 2007 04:52AM

Is Cork tape the same as used on bicycle handle bars?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork tape
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 09:59AM

Not usually. The cork tape that is used for fishing rods is designed for that use, and is thicker (I believe) than the stuff that goes on bicycle handle bars. But thinking about it now, I'd bet that good bicycle handlebar tape would work very well on a fishing rod. The stuff on my road bike would feel great in the hand, though I'm not sure how durable it would be. I have seen a few rods with grips of material that looked similar, but I don't know whether it was actually bicycle tape or something else.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:36AM

Bicycle handlebar tape works fine and comes in a mind boggling variety of colors....BUT.....They only seem to cut the strips so long so wrapping longer grips can be a problem and most have company symbols or logos impressed into the surface of the tape and that can be a bummer. It is also NOT as resillient (sp?) as the tape meant for rod building. I use it, I also use a variety of the grip tapes used for tennis racket handles and safety tread tape.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 12:33PM

Hey Derek. I used to live in Petaluma, just south of you; though mostly I haunted Cotati, at Spanky's, and frequented the Russian River, Stafford lake or lake Sonoma for afternoon and weekend fishing.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: March 09, 2007 01:25PM

Cinelli tape made for bicycles, I know someone posted on another forum that they use this for handles on fishing rods. I also know someone else who said they didn't like it. It's a mottled color.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 06:08PM

Steve......

Your email is hidden!

Billy.

The mottled color can be good or bad depending on the person I guess. I don't really have a problem with it but I know others do. Yet another reason I build for fun and not for profit, so I can get away with doing it my way. You inspire me BTW....Have a bunch of fancy eva grips to glue and shape this weekend. Mostly simple inlays, but I think they will really MAKE the rods they go on.

Probably the ONLY real thing that handlebar tape has going for it is the color selection. I am building a Surf Beast on an 11' White E-Glass blanks and will use florescent green and orange wraps. Would you believe that there is a florescent green, orange and white CAMO handlebar tape out there waiting for me.

I am sick, I know it and have to deal with it, but the rod is gonna look killer when done.

Saving up for your book, that is for sure!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster