I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scott G2 male ferrule
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 02:58AM

Hi Everyone,

Im building a Scott G2 for a friend at the moment, and have noticed rods from the factory are wrapped on the male and female ferrules. This is a different scenario where they use internal ferrule system, but still, does wrapping the male end make a difference? Should i skip the step and save on weight?

Calvin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scott G2 male ferrule
Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.187.---)
Date: March 09, 2007 04:15AM

scott makes a big deal of their internal ferrule system (which is basically a spigot ferrule, no?) so you might want to contact them and see what they say. i'm imagining they've done all of the research and field testing for their blanks and rod design. either way, i don't think it adds THAT much weight, would it? i may be wrong here but wrapping the male side is usually for strength but that internal piece probably adds strength on its own and so that extra wrap is partly decorative.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (194.239.239.---)
Date: March 09, 2007 07:09AM

You must wrap both male and female ferrules on spigot type ferrules like the Scott ferrules or you run the risk of the blank splitting - just like the female ferrule will if not wrapped. Yes the spigot is glued in but glue on the inside wont ad much strength to the blank wall. And Scott rods are wrapped quite long on the male side - I guess the wrap goes as long as the spigot is inserted into the blank.

As for weight - I just finished a CD rods XLS 9 foot 4 piece 8 weight using the lightest materials I could find - fuji graphite reel seat - Recoil guides, short wraps etc - after applying a coat of Permagloss prior to finishing with one layer of Threadmaster I weighed the rod and again after finishing the rod - the difference (which would be the weight of one full coat of Threadmaster on each wrap) is under 2 grams so I dont think you will notice the male ferrule wraps. But you cant do without it so....

The XLS ended up weighing just below 3.6 oz by the way.

Peter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2007 07:17AM by Peter Mulbjerg.

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 10:56AM

I just read a comparison review on a bunch of 5 wts, the scott G2 being one of the lightest ones. Yes the female ferrule is wrapped the entire length of what the male is inserted to. But together it looks like there would be more epoxy and wrapping than in the normal rod design, so i figured it might be heavier.

Calvin

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 10, 2007 02:03AM

With a spigot ferrule you've basically got two female ferrules with a solid segment of rod connected inside to one of them, which applies pressure on both sides as if they were both female ends. Use this oprotunity to layer in a set of colored alignment marks on either side of the ferrule, inbetween two thin coats of epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster