I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Tool For Shoulder Cuts
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 08:15PM

Any of you turners out there:

What tool should I be looking for to make shoulder cuts on reel seat inserts? Ive been looking in the catalogues and see theres thicker square parting tools(3/8 1/2) and also beading tools. Any input?

Ive got a thin parting tool which cuts a nice sharp shoulder but Im running into problems when it comes to turning the smaller dia down to size. The gouge or scraper I have will cut the corner off before its down to the desired depth. My parting tool is so thin(1/16) I cant dig in turning away from the shoulder as it just chatters.

Scott

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Tool For Shoulder Cuts
Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 09:04PM

Beading tool for shoulder cuts????? You might be thinking of a Bedan. Great tool, French turners use them alot. Kind of strange but works well. I like using a bedan for making accurate tenons with a nice sharp shoulder. A skew can be used too.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2007 09:18PM

Bedan for sure. I have a 3/8 inch model that I use for many types of turing, including shoulders. Robert Sorby makes what I think is an exceptional one. Crown also makes a good one, and for less money.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 09:59PM

I have an 1/8" parting tool that works very well for that purpose - and in addition, it is exceedingly usefull in other areas of woodturning I'm finding out. A French Bedan is a also a very nice tool - have not used one, but a guy in my woodturning club has one. Actually, they are really very similar... What you can do is use one of those tools to establish the shoulder and diameter for the wood that the reel seat goes on, then use your skew or detail gouge (I prefer skew), to finish the rest of that cut. You would not want to use your thin parting tool - I have one of those too, and they are really just for parting pieces off of the excess stock, or cutting a wood round in half for making lidded boxes, etc. Bear in mind, I just started learning to turn about 2 weeks ago, but this is my impression of what all these various tools do.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 08:50AM

I do much the same as Rich, I use a 1/8" parting tool and repeat the plunge cutting to the end of the piece and then come back with the skew to straighten out the work piece. I don't have a Bedan but after looking at one on line I may have to invest in one. That does look like it would be a better option. MB

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 07, 2007 01:53PM

Thanks

Ive ordered a Sorby Bedan tool. AND a 1/8 parting. The bedan seems to be just like a square parting tool with more side clearance. The price is not that bad on Sorby tools here. I looked at some US sites and its like daylight robbery. Crown are pretty reasonable as well.

Scott

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 10:57PM

I use the 1/8" parting tool to establish a "close" depth at the shoulder then use a small round nose scraper to reduce the barrel portion. I may need to use the parting tool to dress up where the scraper could not fully get but for what I do this works well enough.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster