I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ATC blanks-whatcha think?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:45PM

I know ATC bought Shikari and I understand they will be/are selling some of the same blank models. I was wondering if anyone has held the new blanks yet and what the general thoughts were on them. If it's something you do not want to post publically, please email me you thoughts privately if you dont mind doing so.

Thanks!

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ATC blanks-whatcha think?
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:20PM

Cheap oriental made blanks. Do NOT confuse them with the old Shikaris. Not even close. I bought two and will probably cut them up for reamer stock. Crooked, crooked, crooked. I guess I could use them for casting around corners.

I have been told that the old Shikari stuff is still in OK or where ever. The ATC stuff is not Shikari and it's not built on the same mandrels.

I'd stick with Batson Forecast or PacBay Tradition Series. Just as good or better for less money and companies that have been doing this for a lot longer than ATC.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 12:30AM

It's my understanding that they are made in Washington

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: March 06, 2007 06:16AM

Shawn, are you sure? Though, looking over ATC PDF catalog I noticed that the declared weight of some models I know since they were Shikari's is somewhat higher...

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: March 06, 2007 08:55AM

I'm sure the ones I got were crooked. I can tell just by looking and they look like boomarangs. I'd call that crooked.

Last time I talked with anybody down there all the Shikari stuff was still in OK and nothing had been sent to WA. The ATC blanks being shipped now are imports. Shikari is dead.

Date: March 06, 2007 08:57AM

Thanks, Shawn

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: John Gertz (156.142.18.---)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:50AM

I just ordered ATC fly blanks and assumed that they were the same as the Shikari SHIII's because they have identical specs, blank color etc. How naive is that! I''ve used many fly blanks from the three ranges Shikari provided and thought they were some of the very best blanks out there. The bottom range SHII 8'-6" 4 weight is still one of my all time favorite trout rods (if anyone has some gathering dust let me know). I know the Shikari SHIII's well and should be able to see a difference, but that wouldn't prove their imports, only that something changed between Oklahoma and Washington. I think the question is, are the Shikari mandrels still in Oklahoma, and if not were did they go. Perhaps ATC will shed some light on this. If it's true about the import blanks, and the machinery and mandrels are in Oklahoma, then what exactly did ATC acquire? I quess I'm not convinced yet that all the ATC blanks are imports. I'll remain hopeful - for now.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:57AM

I really don't have that much information on this situation and certainly don't want to give out information that isn't correct. But as far as I know, and from what I've been told by folks that should know, all the machinery and mandrels are still in Oklahoma.

I would think you could call or write to ATC and they'd happy to provide you with more information. And remember, a lot of pretty decent blanks are made in the Orient these days.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 02:35PM

ATC also purchased the mandrels and equipment from the Cascade factory that was in existance a few years ago, so that is another option, as to what mandrels blanks are being built on. I did speak with Bobby Loomis about a week ago and he told me that the ATC blanks were being made at their factory in Washington state.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 04:21PM

Shawn Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheap oriental made blanks. Do NOT confuse them
> with the old Shikaris. Not even close. I bought
> two and will probably cut them up for reamer
> stock. Crooked, crooked, crooked. I guess I could
> use them for casting around corners.
>
> I have been told that the old Shikari stuff is
> still in OK or where ever. The ATC stuff is not
> Shikari and it's not built on the same mandrels.
>
> I'd stick with Batson Forecast or PacBay Tradition
> Series. Just as good or better for less money and
> companies that have been doing this for a lot
> longer than ATC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I chuckle. Shawn,, Did you ever check to see where Batson blanks are made? Very few come from this country.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 07:01PM by Bill Holsonback.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 05:26PM

Shawn;
If those blanks are being made over seas then there will be a label on them stating in which country they are being made. I guess it would be possible, but extremely hard to get them through customs other wise.

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 06:49PM

The 2007 ATC blank catalog states... "built from scratch" American blanks. If I'm interpreting that right, I don't think they have blanks built outside the US.

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 07:58PM

I e-mailed ATC with a question about the fly blank line and got a nice response back from Fred Gasparach, sales manager. Mr. Gasparach stated that the ATCIII fly blank is the same as before, which I take to mean that it is the same as the Shikari SHIII. Great news! He also addressed the issue of where ATC blanks are made, and was very clear in saying that all ATC blanks are being produced at their facility in Wenatchee, Washington. More great news! I look forward to getting the two fly blanks I ordered.

Date: March 07, 2007 02:50PM

John,

Anyway, the info you posted is interesting, IMHO. But as to me personally, I'm a little bit disappointed... Just because I did like (and still do) "original" Shikari's, I expected that ATC blanks will be as close to "originals" as possible. But, from what I red in this thread, I found out that, since original mandrels still are in OK, I couldn't expect that ATC blanks manufactured in WA at the moment are the same...

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 04:47PM by Pavel Novolokin.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2007 03:55PM

Pavel,

It seems the Shikari may be dead imo.....

DR

Date: March 16, 2007 12:35PM

Will see, Duane...

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster