I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed blank Spinning Reel Seat
Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 08:56PM

I've done some searches on this and only found minimal results.... Can anyone recommend any exposed blank spinning reel seats other than the REC? It's a neat looking seat, but it's also 41 bucks!

I think I could try to custom cut something myself, but it seems like it would be tricky. I saw a pretty good looking one from Daiwa too, but doubt this one is for commercial sale:

[hires.basspro.com]

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Joe

-jb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed blank Spinning Reel Seat
Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:24PM

Hi JOe
It is easy to do, just turn a spacer and than cut the side out.
Best Regards Mark Crouse-The Munich Rod Man
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:10PM

like mark said it is not hard to do, just turn an insert and cut out one side. remember that when you cut out the bottom that the exposed part is covered up by the reel foot and you dont get the same effect as a blank exposed casting handle.

Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:44PM

Has anyone done one of these? Or have pictures? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind about what it would look like.

-jb

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 11:05PM

On a spinning reel seat the exposure would be on top and your thumb would rest on the exposed part.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 11:12PM

if you really wanted you could forget the insert and just use skeleton parts. you could ramp some rodbond and form whatever shape you want.
email me direct if you want and i will help if i can

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 12:22PM

Use a small drum sander attached to a drill/drill press/lathe and you'll have a exposed seat with a nice radius in minutes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 01:38PM

I've done a few like Mick, I didn't think it helped comfortwise having that bump there so I don't put them on my personal rods. I've always thought that once I've reamed everything tight and glued it up, that the reelseat no matter how it's built becomes part of the general structure and therefore didn't contribute much to sensitivity when exposed, but I've been wrong more than once before.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2007 02:13AM

For my spinning rod i use casting reel seet (exposed blank) and i cut the trigger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster