I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crappie Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 04:18PM

I know that this has been discussed before and when I searched I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a person looking for a pair of Crappie rods and want's a 7'6" to 8' two piece rod. He also was very specific and he wanted a light power with a fast action. What blanks would you recommend for this application? I think that there is a very good market for the longer blanks for this type of fishing, however no one seems to market towards this venue. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Mark Blabaum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crappie Blank Suggestions
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 04:42PM

mark you might want to look at some of the light popping rods like 841 or 842 models. they have light tips and will be quicker than fly blanks.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 04:57PM

I haven't built one like this but looking at the specs, it looks like an American Heritage Fly blank is what you are looking for. With no mention of money, don't know if this helps but here you go.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 04:59PM

Mark if you look in the blank section of the CCS data site there are some Dan Craft Sig III 7 and 8' blanks that AA in the 70 range and have an ERN around 3 to 3 1/2 if that gets you in the ball park. There may be other blanks in there but I remembered looking at the 7' blanks as I was wondering about trying one for an ultra lite rod. You may need more power for a crappie rod. I'm certainly no expert on them.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 05:09PM

Stan, I never gave Dan Craft a thought but I'll take a look at them.

Kevin, Who distributes the American Heritage Blanks?

John, I'll take a look at the Batsons as well.

The fast action is what's throwing me. A lot of fly blanks would work but he doesn't want a big bow in the rod and I think he may be right about a fast action for sensitivity on the light jigs. There are a lot of steel head blanks that would work as well but are a little heavy as for power. I have an 8' BnM rod that's a little faster than a fly rod and that does work well for crappies. I still think that the manufacturers need to fill this void in thier line ups or if they have them they need to market them as such.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 05:10PM by mark blabaum.

Date: March 05, 2007 06:18PM

A reading of 70 and up is a pretty fast action. I looked further in the Data Site and found some St Croix blanks listed in the spinning rod section that may have the action you need in 7' length. You could add 6" and speed them up a bit more.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 06:34PM

Take a look at the ATC P700 series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 06:48PM by Bill Holsonback.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:12PM

Mark,
I'm sure there are more listed on the left which carry this but I found it looking through Karen's website at Bingham Enterprises.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:22PM

Mark - if they want a fast action blank, I don't think there really is a fly blank made that will really meet that criteria. Fast for a fly blank is a totally different meaning than fast for a spinning blank. Someone mentioned popping blanks - I will second that recommendation. I have a blank I'm trying to get time to build on, I got it from Utmost - not sure if they have any left, it's a 0 or 1 power popping blank. Nice fast action, just a great, great feeling blank. I brought it in to work to show a buddy (he's on the PWT, won the event in Winneconne last year and finished 3rd or so on Devil's Lake) anyways, he loved the action so much I'm building him 4 of the Shikari popping blanks into walleye rigging rods (thanks Bingham :-) I really think the popping blanks have a lot of applications in freshwater jigging type applications - esp. for crappie, walleye, and smallmouth. Good luck with your search!

Date: March 06, 2007 12:01AM

As a general rule casting and spinning rods have a faster action than most fly rods but when you look at the AA data provided in the CCS Site you will see quite a few fly blanks that have actions as fast as all but a very few casting and spinning blanks. The only way you can really tell how the action of a blank will classify is to measure and compare Action Angles.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:54AM

I agree with Stan. Too many anglers and builders use the term action when they are really trying to describe power. Not all powerful rods have fast action and plenty of light power rods have fast actions. For example, a light power blank with a fast action will still bend way down into it's butt section if you put a large load on it and I think that confuses a lot of people. Some people just think that a fast action rod can't bend that much but it can if it is light power. The AA numbers are your best bet for finding the desired action.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 07:30PM

I'm not confusing action and power - in looking at the CCS data site, I see very few casting/spinning blanks even listed - most of them are lower end blanks (2003 forecasts are prominent). Look at the St. Croix Avids on the bottom, all AA's of 72-74 or so. To get that action in a fly blank, it would appear to me you are likely looking at a higher end, considerably more expensive blank. I think fly blanks can make fine panfish spinning rods for certain fishing presentations. Hoever, if the goal is fast action and light power, I think there are better blanks - such as the popping blanks I mentioned, that will give you a better product for less money. The lighter popping blanks have light power combined with fast action - it's a great combo for light biting, soft mouthed fish like crappie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster