I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First spiral wrap
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 03:36PM

Hi. Just finished my first spiral wrap. I built a Rainshadow RDR86M for line counter walleye crankbait trolling. Not sure if I got it right but the static test which I used for guide spacing looks good. Used two double foot guides for the 0 and 180 rings size 12 and 10. The 90 guide is a BNUG8. This kept the line close to the blank but it never touch in a deep bend. Everything else is an BLAG8 fly guide. 11 guides total. Can't wait to try it out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First spiral wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2007 05:32PM

How far apart are the 0 and first 180 degree guide?

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:09PM

They are 13 inches apart. The 90 splits the difference.

Date: March 05, 2007 10:24PM

Okay, I'm going to suggest something else that I think will work better.

Put all the guides up on top of the rod and do your static stress test with them up there. If you do, I think you'll find your first two guides will only fall about 8 to 10 inches apart at most.

Now, with the exception of the first guide, flip them all to the bottom but do not adjust the spacing. Now go back and put one low frame guide on there at 90 degrees and exactly halfway between the 0 and first 180 degree guide.

This may sound similar to what you have now, but it's not. Your first two guides are currently far enough apart that when you heavily load the rod the 90 degree guide is going have a side load on it. With the method I outlined just above, it won't.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:33PM

And how much further toward the rod tip is the SECOND 180-degree line guide? In other words, if the FIRST 180-degree guide is somewhat non-loading, then how far is the span from the BUTT Guide to the 2nd 180-degree Guide? That span may need to be shortened (on your NEXT Simple Spiral Wrap) IF the 1st 180-degree guide is still non-loading at deep flexion of the rod blank. ... -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

See CHRIS KARP's "The Illustrated Simple Spiral" Wrap
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 05, 2007 10:52PM

He's not having that problem.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 09:40AM

Thanks for the info. I have built around 30 spinning rods but only 4 casting. Even then I cheated using the manufacture's guide spacing. Yes, these were my very first rods. I read everything I could before this setup but I learn better from doing or watching then I do by reading.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:24AM

Yup, wrestling with a (rod-building) project brings at least as much prowess as second-hand knowledge, if not always more, depending on where you are on the learninig curve for a particular skill involved.

"See one, Do one, Teach one."

Learn, Read. Learn, Do. Test, Review & Revise.
Repeat that cycle as often as needed.
Consult fellows when necessary.
Try not to let pride get in the way.

CQI - "Continuous Quality Improvement" -

"You can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make him drink." ...

C'est la vie. ... -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster