I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

INTERVIEW with TOM KIRKMAN
Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: March 05, 2007 02:52AM

Dear Friends,

I am proud to invite you to read the interview Tom Kirkman kindly agreed to give:

[www.jerkbait.pl]
(English language version)

The site that is trouly honoured to publish the interview is www.jerkbait.pl - European forum related exclusively to spinning, baitcasting and trolling fishing and tackle. There is also a "rodbuilder's and lurebuilder's corner" at the forum as jerkbait.pl promotes rodbuilding and lurebuilding.
Although the board it is not in English I hope you can get some fun browsing gallery [jerkbait.pl] , [jerkbait.pl] or articles at homepage [www.jerkbait.pl]

I have found the interview with Tom very inspiring and very interesting and I am sure that you will as well. I would like to thank Tom again that he agreed for this interview.

I would also like to thank Tom, and you guys, for this board - www.rodbuilding.org - I think you are all doing just awesome, awesome job.

Best regards,
Pavel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 02:54AM by Pawel Tymendorf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: INTERVIEW with TOM KIRKMAN
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 06:40AM

Excellent!

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 06:55AM

That was a great artical and and wonderfull interview, Tom.

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:19AM

Pawel,

It's good to finally have a face to a great man. Thank you Pawel for bringing this interview to our attention.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:25AM

I'm happy to have been able to help. But the "great man" stuff really doesn't go over too well with me. I do appreciate it but it's a bit out of line from my own personal perspective. This is just custom rod building. Nothing more.

And remember that RodMaker has mostly been a vehicle to showcase the talents and methods of other very fine craftsmen, not me.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:48AM

have seen tom's pic.. now to see anthony!

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 11:26AM

Outstanding!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 11:47AM

Very nice, Pawel and kudos to Tom for participating. Wish I had been able to attend the show and could connect some names/faces in the pictures.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: March 05, 2007 12:04PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is just custom rod building. Nothing more.

That's a classic line, lol. It's certainly the truth too, there is just so much more to people outside of "just custom rod building"....which is why I really, really enjoy meeting so many people at teh SHows as tehy get to know me, an I get to know them on a human being level as opposed to some clown who wraps thread around a tube.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 02:32PM

Tom is right! We are building fishing rods, not doing brain surgery or building a moon rocket. People seam to get carried away when they find out they can do something besides their every day job and create something that is admired by others. The more education a rodbuilder has seems to lead them to give expanations that are so far over most of our heads that we don't comprehend what they are trying to say. Who cares if X3246 viberates more than Y6324 at 800 yards. I sure don't and if you try to use that kind of language to a customer you will lose the sale, guaranteed. Jesse

Date: March 05, 2007 02:56PM

But you may help another rod builder who is into that sort of thing and what he does with the information may benefit all rod builders down the road.

I wasn't trying to downplay the efforts of anyone who is trying to push the envelope or rod building techniques, just mentioning that I don't deserve the accolades. It's just not a big deal.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 05, 2007 03:15PM

Jesse,
I feel differently than you do. I do not believe that less understanding is better. If you think that you can build a better performing rod without knowing how the choices you make affect the rods performance then I think that you are fooling yourself and maybe the customer as well.

Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: March 05, 2007 06:08PM

OK, Tom, I have seen you downplay your roll before but as far as we all are concerned, you deserve every accolade you get because you
are very, very good at what you do. We all recognize that and applaud you. You run a first class magazine and rod builders convention and we all dont give you enough credit for all that you do behind the scenes we cant see. Sometimes, we just need to say Thanks.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:23PM

Tom,

At my local website, I have a catch phrase which says,"Home is where the fishes (hearts) are", and rodbuilding.org can be truly called "Home" to many rod builders around the world. You have played a huge part over the last few years to move the industry to where it is. You are more than just a rod builder.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 09:44AM

Where are you located Pawel? I'm a typical pathetically mono-lingual American, but find it interesting trying to make out what I can from different languages. Your site looks great, but I confess I'm helpless on the language.

Date: March 06, 2007 01:52PM

Marty Martin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where are you located Pawel? I'm a typical
> pathetically mono-lingual American, but find it
> interesting trying to make out what I can from
> different languages. Your site looks great, but I
> confess I'm helpless on the language.

Poland. The language is Polish. We think about English version as well, as many of our users speak/write in English so English-speaking users could easily accomodate, I think.

Best regards,
Pavel

Date: March 06, 2007 02:03PM

I think at least some clients expect expertise and knowledge from a rodbuilder, especially when they offer their money in return. I think that rodbuilding is not about "selling" rods but about constructing the rods with understanding of the rod features and so on. I believe there is a difference between "business" and "craft".

Best regards,
Pavel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2007 01:51AM by Pawel Tymendorf.

Date: March 06, 2007 09:22PM

Fortunately, a few guys are willing to push the envelope. This is true in most things - a few pave the wave for everybody else. And thank goodness that they do or we'd still be riding horses to work and walking down to the creek to get a bucket of water each morning.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to be involved at the highest level of interest or understanding, but we all benefit from the few who are.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2007 02:41AM

Very nice interview. Thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Anyone else surprised by Tom's age? I imagined you to to be an elderstatesman in the 60s given your impact on the industry.....:) LOL - only 47. Well, good to know that this site, the mag, and the show will be in good hand for many many years yet.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster