I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tie-off Loop material
Posted by: Rich Kline (---.mercerville-16-18rs.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 01:42PM

After many years I finally ran out of Clemen's Tie off Loop material, any suggestions on a suitable replacement or does any one know where I can get more ?

Thanks
Rich Kline C.R.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tie-off Loop material
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 01:58PM

Is there a problem in using the same thread you're wrapping the guide with? If so, I'm doing something wrong.

Jay

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 04, 2007 02:26PM

I use Spider Wire, 30 lb, its small, soft , strong and never wears out. Got each end of it tied to a barrel swivel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2007 12:11AM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 02:29PM

I use Fireline.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 02:33PM

6/20 Power Pro hi-vis yellow!!!

Best loop material EVER

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 02:53PM

10# powerpro- I carried a small thread spool to my favorite tackle shop ,picked up 10 Yards for cheap!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2007 03:42PM by Barry D. Thomas Sr..

Posted by: tim hough (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 03:00PM

Gudebrod used to make a product called "G-String", back beforre Spider Wire. My one tube will last my lifetime.

Tim

Posted by: Gregory Martin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2007 03:00PM

Same here spectra works great and no worry about it breaking!!!!

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 03:05PM

I use Spectra or Power Pro too. The only problem I have had with regular thread is that if I make the wrap to tight, the thread breaks when I try and pull it through.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 03:06PM

Power pro tied with a red plastic bead so as I don't misplace it. I have been using the same loop over a year now.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 03:25PM

All of the above are great ideas. You can also go to the drug store and buy Floss Threaders. They're thin plastic loops that work very well. I started using them after hearing about them on this board.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 05:09PM

At times I have used all of the above suggestions? When using a wrapping thread. I use one size smaller than the wrap thread. For an example the wrap thread is C. I use a B or A thread as my pull thread
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eric Sjo (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 05:09PM

I use 6 lb Fireline and a red bead from a Carolina rig, just so I can keep up with it.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 06:13PM

I would not like to use fireline as it is fused with a coating and I would not want that to contaminate the threads. As for the same size thread...Remember as the loop sits under the thread wraps it is doubled up already thus making it double the size of the thread your using, and doubling the size of the hole your pulling it through and only plugging this double size hole with a singel strand...but bare thread wraps stretch emensly so that double size hole will shrink back down instantaniously.

I like to use ice fishing spiderwire 5# strength 1# dia. tied in a loop. The 1# dia, even doubled is very small so the thread is held tightly and you can get way with fewer cover wraps although I don't take this to lessening to an extreme. Spiderwire is so limp, and won't remain pointy after the 1st pull, it assume a pointy look, but does not hold its pointy shape, it is easily reverted back to a nice round loop to thread the Mainthread through before the next actual pull.

I like the bead idea tied into the knot of the loop or larks headed onto the loop in the area of the knot, best tip I have heard in a while. Making a loop into a closed loop allows you to put your finger into the loop to pull it through without having to capture both ends of the pull. Saves the trouble of thinking you pulling on both loops when you only have one (which we have all done) and then have to backtrack and start again

Posted by: Ross van Enckevort (---.lns6.adl2.internode.on.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 07:14PM

Guys,
Those of us building heaps of rods want a material that bounces back open again when pulled through nothing worse than having to muck around opening up thread,spiderwire,fireline etc. I put a post up years ago and still swear by it Boawire 20, 30LB kink proof wire and works a treat won't get me using anything else these days.
Cheers,

Ross. therodworks.com.au

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 09:48PM

I've happily followed Ross's lead for several years now using the Boawire. I add a piece of yarn as an indicator.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2007 11:55PM

Jay, I guess you and I are throwbacks or something. I use the wrapping thread also. If I lose one, I just cut another. After all, it's right there.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 01:22AM

Royce, Although I'm not adverse to using something better, I continue to use thread pieces from the spool I happen to be wrapping with. I've only rarely have had problems with line breaking, etc., but using something thinner and stronger with a real small bead does sound worthwhile trying. I've worked in shops where some of the builders do use similar setups, but the bead revolving around the rod and the constant noise of the bead smacking against the rod drives me a little nuts.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 01:54AM

We use 6lb to maybe 15lb line from "spare" spools of leader material. I always used to use thread from the same spool, and still do sometimes.

I like that the fishing line doesn't fray coming through.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 11:31AM

We were all 1st taught to use the remaining thread clipped from the starter warp as it was not kinked yet or pre-stressed from a previous pull. I still don't like yanking a doubled over large dia thread or wire under then through the wraps. What is the dia of this 30 and 20# kink proof Boawire? I know it can also be small. The stainless wire I work with for some leaders is .010" (8# Trilene XL mono dia) sz 2 and is 27#strong. Normal nylon size "A" thread is what? .006" I still like the ideaof doubled 1# dia pulling the tag end through even if it takes me a second to slide my finger to the other end of the loop to round over the pointy end after each use.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster