I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many roll blanks?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2007 11:18PM

Of all the rod builders we have here, how many roll THEIR OWN rod blanks? Are there any?

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many roll blanks?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 03, 2007 12:04AM

I don' think there will be many Duane. The heating and rolling machinery, graphite cloth, storage media, baking oven, mandrels, etc. add up to a motorscooter of an investment.

A question back to you. What did you use for the black pearl split grip rod on the board? Love the split area and the "butt wrap".

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2007 08:31AM

I probably designed and made somewhere around 50 for myself during the 1990's, but not on my own equipment. It's just a very expensive thing to own and operate the necessary equipment involved in making rod blanks.

More than a few used to contract to have proprietary blanks made, but these days there are so many models available it's hardly necessary.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 10:01AM

I've built a few usable blanks but I had access to an unlimited amount of materials to play with. I also had access to the largest autoclave on the east coast so oven space was not a problem. The mandels are the biggest investment you would have to make. I've seen them for sell in the thousands of dollars apiece. The ones I was using were only good for a couple of runs before they began to warp. Unless you have worked with unidirectional carbon fiber tape or boron tape before you better have some very deep pockets just to learn how to handle the materials. Another example of the cost involved the surface of the table you would do your cutting of prepreg on costs 10,000 dollars and up. Carbon fiber prepreg has to be stored in a freezer at 0 degrees or below and storing it in the freezer were you keep food is out of the question. The way the aircraft industry uses up materials I doubt you will find someone to sell advanced composites to you and if they did OHSA would like to come by and inspect your place of business.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 01:18PM

I asked NOT because I was interested in making a blank, but because I had heard of a rod builder that claimed to be "using his own blanks" and from what little I knew of the system and process it seems an outlandish claim to me. I just wanted to verify what I already knew with all the experts we have here on the RB.

Ted,

The Handle is black pearl acrylic, the blank is a EBT784 CTS Tourney Elite in charcoal mica color, the split and forgrip are marblized with PearlX dry pigment. Turned out nice I thought.

DR

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 01:27PM

Its cost prohibitive to even think about doing it yourself, unless your going into Business and then unless your rich the bank would be a not so silent partner in effect. The only builder on this site who have built their own blanks with their own machinery / fixtures would be the guys who build Bamboo rods and for purposes of your question are not strictly rolled, they are assembled.

So because of this ubiquidous phenominon I always use a mfg label to give credit where credit is due and for warranty purposes, lots of builders here will omit it on thier works of art as their additions are self-precieved to be artful and in many cases are, they raise the rod building process above that of proficiently assembling off-the shelf parts, so to that end I try to modify as much as possible and still note the origins of the main component.

I think Pac Bay would have their overseas rod maker produce blanks to your specification, given you use one of their existing mandrels. They have many many to chosse from so one would be close. I once asked and they gave me a rough estimate at $1000 min. for 40 rods. But I was talking longer 10 ft fly blanks and seeing as graphite is sold by the pound not the shape (like alu, the more you use the more it costs) we might not have been on the same page, (they might have been thinking 7' spin rod) Using their existing mandrels only leaves the modules of graphite to be used and the blank color, natural grey being the cheapest and who knows how those variables would effect the price, but as it was it came to about $25 a blank, and Pac Bays 43 mil mod graphite fly rod series only retails for $45-55 bucks, so with a profit by the retailer and Pac bay and then the overseas MFG what do these balnks cost to produce over their? like $8-12 a blank?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2007 06:58PM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: March 03, 2007 01:32PM

Duane...

I'm in the incipient stage of working with a major blank builder to build a float rod that is to my specs. A lot has to be ironed out yet, however, like the gents have mentioned, it would be big$$$

Paul

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.barrettxplore.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 09:43PM

I think Steffen bros make their own blanks...fibreglass though....if you like that old school kind thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster