I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TOS for an optical chevron/box?
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 03:14PM

Wanted to give an optical chevron a go on a split grip. Is this type of wrap still considered "open", thus I can use equal spacing taken from the mid-diameter x pi, or do I need to space it according to the taper? Will probably wrap a white underwrap, how do you mark the centers, use marked ncp thread? Many thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TOS for an optical chevron/box?
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2007 05:11PM

Mike,
Yes that is considered an open wrap. You can use equal spacing but the spaces will vary slightly with the taper. Since it's a farily small area between the grips I don't think it will affect much. There are a bunch of ways to mark the centers. On a split lke that, I usually lay out a piece of masking tape and mark it. I then lay the masking tape on the blank with the edge along the axis and mark off the reference points. Also, if you want your white underneath to stay nice and bright on a darker blank you can paint the blank white first then just do your wrap over that. Granted the white underneath is only visible between the pattern, it just depends on how particular you want to get. Just how I do it, Randy.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2007 09:21PM

Thanks Randy, I appreciate your help. I wasn't sure if everything would stay "centered up" since I'm filling a space of about 6.5". This is a dark blank, so I may try to paint the area instead of wrapping with white thread+CP to stay bright. Only one way to find out... Thanks again, Mike.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 03, 2007 09:15AM

NCP White thread over acrylic paint;
Or two layers of NCP White thread
for the whitest white underwrap.

For some further references on the TOS / TOL:
Billy Vivona & others comment:

Taper Offset - Best Method
Stan Gregory ... Feb. 1, 2006 ... [www.rodbuilding.org]
"What is the best / easiest way to figure out "taper-offset" for butt wraps?"

Closed wrap and CP issues
Phil Richmond ... June 15, 2006 ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 03, 2007 09:31AM

For CLOSED WRAPS, where the issues of thread cramming & shape distortion are of more consequence, this excerpt may help simplify things:

Re: Taper Offset - Best Method
Cliff Hall 02-01-06 11:03
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Second Best Method: Using the Clemens’ "Taper Offset Layout" (TOL) Method for Center Spacing is recommended. It can be found in Clemens' CTRA (Custom Rod Thread Art), pages 21-23.

Let's call "DELTA" the spacing between centers
for a 90 degree square diamond. ...

... And let's say that the LENGTH of the butt wrap is intended to be ~160 mm. This is a GUESTIMATION at this point, because you simply CANNOT DICTATE the (LENGTH of the Butt Wrap) or the (DISTANCE -DELTA- between centers) IF you insist on having all PERFECTLY SQUARE Diamonds. *** IT IS MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE *** to INDEPENDENTLY select the spacing values once you demand a SQUARE DIAMOND. (Just take my word for it, unless you have a degree in mathematics. Then maybe you can enlighten us as to why.) IF you are content with NON-square diamonds, then you get to dictate the values for DELTA.

Which brings us back to Clemens' Taper-Offset Layout (TOL) Method:

At the butt end of the wrap, let's say that:
DELTA(1) = PI * OD(1) = 32 mm
At the rod tip end of the wrap, let's say that:
DELTA(2) = PI * OD(2) = 28 mm

The TOL Method "Swaps" the DELTAs, FORE and AFT, and .
Uses an AVERAGE VALUE at the mid-point of the Length
DELTA(Mid) = 1/2 * [ OD(1) + OD(2)]
DELTA(Mid) = 1/2 * [ 32 + 28 mm] = 1/2 * 60 = 30 mm

For practical reasons, you cannot expect to adjust the center dots to any position more accurately than to the nearest 0.50 mm or 1.00 mm. So the additional calculations to accurately determine DELTA become an exercise in mental gymnastics and geometry that is interesting, but impractical.

So, now you just want to change the Spacing value DELTA by 0.5mm or 1.0mm for each center, as you move away from the mid-point (or either end-point for that matter).

Now the series of Diamond Centers has Spacing values:
28, 29, 30, 31, 32 mm.
This should give you n+1 diamonds (6) for a standard 2-axis pattern.

This TOL Method will give you a cross-wrap layout with the most symmetrical blend of angular distortion (diamond compression or elongation) and the most symmetrical distortion of the spacing interval (DELTA).

This is one of those things in life where it is absolutely impossible to independently select the value of more than ONE VARIABLE in this geometrical-mathematical system. Once the rod blank taper is fixed, and you select one other variable (such as the intersection angle at the cross-threads, or the interval between intersection centers) than any other variables are automatically determined, dependent on the rod taper and on the other variable that you independently selected already. ...

... ETC, etc, etc, ... -Cliff Hall, FL-USA

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2007 05:15PM

Thanks Cliff, I really appreciate your work, plus the helpful links. (I'm going to graduate from diamond and chevron U one of these days!) I think that I will go with the paint route, as a bright undercoat is what I'm after, plus I believe it may be easier to mark the centers. Off to grap the calipers, many thanks again for your help! Mike

Date: March 04, 2007 10:07PM

Mike Canavan - You're welcome. Got too tired to finish Replying last nite. You seem to have figured out the rest of the story. …

When doing a criss-cross pattern butt wrap within a confined space, such as between the grips in a split grip, you have to select a number of criss-crosses (centers) and end-wrap tie-down band-width that are compatible with the center angles and number of intervals you want to produce. The easiest thing to do is to measure the ROD BLANK DIAMETER, (at the two ends and at the mid-point), and let the mid-point diameter DICTATE the number of Centers (diamonds) in the overall pattern.

You probably do not need to have perfect 90-degree angles. Multiply your aft, mid-point, and forward OD's by 3.14 (Pi). Let's say you get 42, 40, and 38 millimeters, respectively. Using the mid-point OD, that is roughly 40 mm (1.6") per criss-cross. Divide your free space between the grips by this interval, and that will give you the maximum number of fairly square diamonds you can fit in between the grips. You can elongate the square or compress it to suite your situation. … Doing a NEAT wrap that is SYMMETRICALLY laid out in between the grips is usually more important than having a perfect 90-degree crossing. … -Cliff Hall.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 02:49PM

Thanks again Cliff, appreciate the extra help! I've been practicing new wraps on doweling, and taking mental notes while doing so on centers, spacing, etc. Think I've got this nailed down, seems much easier than mentally expected. Ready to tackle the taper now! Thanks again. Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster