I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

renzetti lathes
Posted by: thad peach (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 06:30PM

I am fixing to take the plunge and buy the complete renzetti lathe package. What I was wanting to know what other accessories would be recommended to go along with it?
I plan only to do mainly wrapping on the renzetti with the possibility of doing some grip/handle touch ups. I really don't like doing cork or grip turning anywhere near my raw threads I am also looking at the jet midi lathe as well as a rikon lathe. I am kind of leaning toward the rikon lathe but looks like both will handle what I need them for.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: renzetti lathes
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 07:30PM

You'll need one extra bed section and two more uprights.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2007 07:49PM

I would purchase the 1/10HP variable speed motor - it will handle all your needs. I'd have at least 4 if not 5 rod supports total. A live center/drilling tailstock is nice, but if you buy the midi type lathe you won't need it.

That's about it. The laser guide alignment tool is nice, but I think most of us who have one just end up eyeballing the guide alignment anyway.

Date: February 28, 2007 07:57PM

Thanks for the advice

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 08:38PM

You might consider ordering a extra set of wheel O rings
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 28, 2007 08:50PM

To late for the extra set of O rings I just got through ordering the lathe from mudhole and rod supports from renzetti. I did think about the extra wheels and O rings. But once I have my lathe I will be able to turn the wheels out of delrin and O rings are easy to come by.

Thanks for the info.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2007 09:43PM

I've been using the same wheels for over 22 years now. Unless you clamp down on the rod supports too hard, they'll last forever.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2007 02:33AM

I bought a used Clemens when I first made took the plunge into rod building. Due to my own lack of knowledge I spent far more than it was worth. It has taken me up to this very week to accumulate all the latest parts to bring this lathe up to date.

I tell you this to support your choice of buying a new Renzetti. It is a superb machine at a great price for the quality, durablity and performance it provides.

Some tips:
- A good polishing with car wax will keep the rails looking great and make it easy to remove any drops of finish.
- Attach strips of masking tape to the underside of the parts to prevent metal to metal contact as they slide.
- About once a year I clean and rewax the rail bed and apply new tape.
- It's very handy to attach the lathe to a board. I used a 1" X 6" plank of clear Red Oak. After staining and polishing I used the attaching plates to screw the bed rails to the wood base. Be sure to align one side of the lathe with the base board. You need clearance to operate the lick down knobs on the movable parts.
- 4 supports are the minimum for a secure grip for up to 7' blanks but 5 or 6 supports are even better. Longer blanks or rods will require more.

I find it very handy to have a separate bed rail with two rod supports which can be used for hand drying. I just located an older Rolling+Thread Carriage to make the this a portable wrapper.

It's very handy to have an extra motor belt on hand. If you're like me you'll misplace it at the most inopportune time.

Wishing you many years of enjoyment building rods on your Renzetti Lathe.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster