I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Preview of the RBI advertisements
Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: February 27, 2007 09:14PM

Those who are interested may want to look at the preview copy for two series of magazine advertisements we have developed at RBI. These were on display at the ICRBE show, but not everyone was able to attend the show.

In addition to the two series of ads, we have a fairly long list of magazines that have responded to our requests for media kits. We are selecting the magazines that: 1) we can afford, and 2) have a decent circulation to a large segment of our potential clients. We would welcome suggestions for regional or national or international magazines that we can consider.

Our first advertisement will appear in the June issue of Fly Rod & Reel which is the Father's Day edition. There was an attractive discount in terms of bith ad size and cost for this issue. It should be a good kickoff for the ad series.

The first ad to run will be #1-C on the preview site. There are small changes in the final copy, but the gist of the final ad is the same as you will see at the site.

[www.marsmedia.us]

We would appreciate any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc. regarding the ads as well. The ads are intended to run as two separate series of ads perhaps every other rmonth, or perhaps monthly, depending on the response levels we get....and, of course, funding.

Thank you for your continued encourgaement and support.

Joe Douglas

Rod Builders International
208-476-5751
joe@rodbuildersintl.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preview of the RBI advertisements
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 09:58PM

Joe, I really like 1A,1C, and 2A-D. I don't care for the ones that go into alot of detail about the benefits of custom rods - just seems like too much info for an ad that is supposed to grab one's attention and make them curious enough to check out RBI. It's all great info, I just don't know if the initial ad is the place for it. Great stuff for sure!!!

Are there any figures on dues, etc. for RBI? I'm very interested!!!!

Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: February 27, 2007 10:03PM

Joe,

Great work on this. Look for my membership soon. As for the concepts here is what I like:

Concept1: 1A The canvas saying is classy 1C: Just plain cool 1D: Kinda funny makes ya smile 1H: In yer face in a good way !!

Concept2: 2A Straight, simple to the point 2B: Like the "No factory rods"

I can't wait to see this in FRR and see the response you will get.

Best Regards

Scott Ryan

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2007 10:34PM

The #2 series will have the greater impact. The one on "bamboo shafted rods" probably came from an advertising guy who isn't quite up to speed on that aspect of the craft. But other than that one, the rest are attention getters and present an image that is sorely lacking in custom rod building these days.

Date: February 27, 2007 10:56PM

Yep. Tom guessed it. The bamboo shafted line came from the ad guy who doesn't build rods.

The tiny text will not be in the final ads...just too busy and hard to read. Rich is correct, all we want to do is get their attention and drive them to the web site.

The final text on 2D will also change to reflect a little more rod building knowledge. I think the concept works and is humorous but the details aren't correct for that type of rod.

The #1B has too much of a religious connotation to be released. We aren't interested in offending our potential clients. We have plenty to choose from and can always create more.

I like the #1 series and I think it will get attention so we are trying one of those first (i.e. #1C in June, Fly Rod & Reel). But, I prefer the #2 series because it is just classier and still gets attention. I also think the catch phrase "Go Custom" works fairly well. I'm sort of leaning toward that phrase at the moment as a simple but effective way of communicating the message. As we play around with these and see what kind of reaction we get we will know better how to release them and in which pubilcations which ads or series of ads works best.

I personally like 1A, 1H, 2B, 2D and 2F the best. I have not tried to rank them in order of my preferences, but I think that might be useful. How would those of you who are seeing them for the first time rank the ads? Let's take a little survey and see which ones are most likely to get the attention of rod builders. Send me a list of your choices in rank order and I'll compile the opinions into a chart.

Thanks, Joe

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 27, 2007 11:22PM

Joe,
I noticed that you said "are most likely to get the attention of rod builders" Are you trying to get the attention of Builders or general fisherman?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: February 27, 2007 11:25PM

Joe,
I think that an ad has to visually grab the reader first before he or she will read the message in the ad so I think that the second group, Concept 2 A-E, will be much more effective.
Actually the more I look at the first group of ads the less I like them. Some of them are kind of clever and kind of cute and off the wall but it seems to me that it not the message that we want to communicate. The second group seem to me to communicate more professionalism which I would think is what we want to communicate.

Date: February 27, 2007 11:43PM

Mike,

We are really trying to get the attention of both groups. We want to attract potential clients and provide some information about custom built rods; but, we also want to attract rod builders and recruit new members to RBI. I am therefore curious with regard to what type of ad attracts which group of individuals; clients or rod builders. It may be they work on both groups. It may be there is a somewhat different appeal depending on the reader's motivation. I don' t know at this time, but I hope to find out.

Emory,

I agree that we strive to project the more professional image. We do have two different approaches represented here; one more subtle and one more boisterous in approach. I think both will do some good. One may do clearly more good than the other which will help set a direction for our future advertising. I tend to agree with you and prefer the more subtle, but I'll keep an open mind for a while yet.

Early returns on the voting indicate no clear winner, but I don't have many votes yet. Too soon to predict the outcome. Stay tuned.

Joe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 08:07AM

I Liked them all except 1-B
I think taking scriptures out of the Bible and turning them into Marketing adds. Will turn more people off then create an interest in custom rods

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: February 28, 2007 08:28AM

A word from the independant spectator from the other side of the Ocean:

"Go custom" is very ear-catching for me. I like 2-A really. Strong and simple message. Very nice.

Best regards,
Pavel

Date: February 28, 2007 08:37AM

You will not attract rod builders through the pages of Fly Rod & Reel, nor any other of the major sportsfishing magazines. The percentage of readers among those who are rod builders would be a tiny, tiny fraction of a single percentage. Obviously, you may pick up a few here and there because many rod builders do read general fishing magazines, but they do not make up more than a minute percentage of the overall circulation of such magazines. But if the goal is to attract rod builders in such publications, it will not be even remotely cost effective to use such publications for that purpose.

To attract rod builders, you'd need to advertise in a publication that targets rod builders.

I would think that such ads would be used to grab the attention of fishermen who might be open minded enough to consider a custom rod for their next purchase. And in that context, I think they'll be very successful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 08:57AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 28, 2007 08:51AM

Hmm....if only there was a publication that targeted rodbuilders : )

I like 2A because it is attractive and positive, without taking digs at anybody or anything. As much as I love smart-ass ads (actually, all things smart-ass), I think they are probably better at selling beer than custom fishing rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 09:02AM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:37AM

Joe, I am currently helping three guys learn the art of rod building. This is not a class, I am working separately with them. Two got my name through other fisherman friends of mine. Things they have in common: all recently retired or semi retired, have much more time on their hands now, learned to fish as kids, still fish regularly, live in colder winter climate that forces more " indoor" during those months, all go to a church regularly (none the same church), have old fising rods they would like to doctor, have children and relatives they would like to build a rod for, have all tied some flies at one time, are over 50. None has a tattoo that I know of...(don't know the significance of that but it popped into my head) ! Anyway, maybe this is indicitive of a much larger group out there? Maybe a RBI cool tattoo could be a project down the line !?! LOL.... , just thought I'd share a little. Thanks

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:55AM

2 more cents from me - I agree, the "Go Custom" catch phrase is a good one. RUN WITH IT!!!

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 12:08PM

I dunno, none of these really give me incentive to read the add or "go custom". I would probably just flip the page.
Something like "custom or bust", with a picture of a pouting gal with a busted baitcaster might catch my attention.
Could even be a lead in to that article on page 96 titled "why spiral?"

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 12:10PM

Here is my ranking Joe;

Section 1A-H

(#1) 1-D (#2) 1-C (#3) 1-A (#4) 1-G ( #5) 1-F ( #6) 1-E (#7) 1-H (#8) 1-B

First impressions:

1-E,,, "In the face of danger ", didn't work for me.
1-B,,, Doesn,t work at all.
1-H,,, Too forceful, don't tell me,,,,,, ask me.

Section 2A-E I like this section the best !!!

Ranking:
(#1) 2-A ( #2) 2-B (#3) 2-D (#4) 2-F (#5) 2-C

First impressions:

2-C,,,,,Replace the word "@#$%&" with "Great".
2-D & F,,,,Enlarge small print and leave it in,,maybe change the wording a little.

Posted by: Joe N Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 03:53PM

I think I will take a "wait and see" approach to attracting rod builders in sporting magazines. Based on the emails I have received a large number of rod builders read these magazines and may be attracted by the ads. I would hope that a number of potential rod builders would also be attracted, and as potential builders they would not necessarily be readers of rod building magazines. The responses we receive, assuming we receive responses, will help us understand the impact the ads have on readers.

We will, of course, be advertising in rod building magazines as well. If only I could find one?

Joe Douglas
Rod Builders International
208-476-5708
joe@rodbuildersintl.com

Date: February 28, 2007 04:02PM

A large number of rod builders do read those magazines, but only a tiny percentage of the overall circulation of any particular one. If you're paying more than a 5 cents per view to your intended target audience, you're throwing money away. My best guess is that with most general sportsfishing magazines you'd be paying up to $10 per view by custom rod builders. You can certainly try it and see, but I can't imagine how you would possibly come out.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: February 28, 2007 04:04PM

First I thought we were trying to attract anglers into the purchase or at least thinking about a custom rod. The rod builders are already into the custom rod thinking. So are the ads to attract rod builders to RBI or are the ads to attract consumers to RBI?

I like the #2 seris of ads better then # 1 as #1ads have all been done for one thing or another already.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: February 28, 2007 04:20PM

The ads are to attract consumers to custom rods. Through RBI and it's membership if possible.

Actually, you really don't have to do much directly to the custom rod builders. If they see those ads, they'll also likely visit the website and if they like what they see they'll want to get in on a good thing. So in effect, even marketing wholly to the fishing consumer will get attention from any rod builders that also see the same advertisments.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster