I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ERN rating for casting rods?
Posted by: jim spooner (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 11:00AM

I use the Common Sense System to get the relative ratings of my Casting rods and since many of the rods require over 200 cents to deflect 1/3 of the overall length, I’d like to know if there is a conversion to an ERN number. The Rosetta Stone Chart tops out at 173 cents. I don’t know if there is an advantage to having an ERN number, but I’m curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ERN rating for casting rods?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2007 11:22AM

The ERN number refers to relative rod power, so yes there is an advantage to having it.

Dr. Hanneman has recently revised the chart to include heavier listings for the more powerful casting and spinning rods and it will appear in the Volume 10 #3 issue of RodMaker.

In the meantime, you can compare blank power by the number of cents required. Not quite as simple but still helpful in many cases.

Date: February 27, 2007 12:40PM

Thanks Tom, I'll look forward to seeing #3.

Date: February 27, 2007 01:39PM

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’ve been under the impression that the ERN power rating would apply to any rod regardless of length. My rods are not particularly powerful. (The lure weight ranges are approx ¼ to ½ once). However, the rods are relatively short (5’6” to 5’9”) by todays standards. Is it possible that the “short” length is resulting in an inordinate amount of weight (pennies) required for the 1/3 deflection?

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 27, 2007 02:09PM

Keep in mind, Jim, that Hanneman's primary interest when he developed the system was to help fly fishermen match up rods and lines with casting distances and preferences for power and action. And, the most powerful flyrod on the planet has about the same power as a Loomis 0 or 1 power Mag Bass taper. Fly rods are just not very powerful rods compared to spinning and casting rods.

ERN is measured at the point of 1/3 deflection for a blank of any length. I'm guessing that Hanneman's next table will probably extend the ERN table into the 30 range, since lots of medium heavy or heavy freshwater rods probably get up into that range. We'll find out soon enough.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2007 02:22PM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2007 02:54PM

Length won't matter - it measures power no matter what the length is.

Even a 12 weight fly rod blank is not terribly powerful compared to a heavy bass rod blank. The scale can go higher and with Dr. Hanneman's new version it does.

Date: February 27, 2007 03:18PM

Steve and Tom,
Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster