I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow SW1087
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 09:33AM

I did a search and couldn't find this exact topic, but I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I'm looking to build a surf plugging rod, and am going to give a Rainshadow blank a try. I'll be using a Penn Slammer 460 with 30 lb. braid to throw artificials, both on open beaches and in more sheltered backwaters. Though at times I'll throw lures ranging from an ounce or so up to 3 1/2 or 4 ounces, at least 90% of the time I'll be throwing plugs in the 2-3 ounce range.

I like plugging rods in the 8-9 foot range, so at 8'10" I figured the SW1087 would be just about perfect. The blank's action (medium-fast), also seems to fit well with what I'm looking for, and I also like that it's one piece. And the lure weight range (3/4-4 oz.) also fits the bill.

It generally seems about the perfect blank for me, but because I have no experience with Rainshadow blanks, I figured I'd see if anyone here could shed some light on it for me. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow SW1087
Posted by: Skeet Bennett (---.dhe.duke.edu)
Date: February 27, 2007 09:41AM

I have built several rods on this blank and I think you will be very pleased.

Skeet Bennett
www.skeetsfishingrods.com

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 27, 2007 03:15PM

Chris, I can't speak to the 1087 specifically but I can speak to the quality of the Rainshadow blanks. I've got 5 surf rods built on Rainshadow blanks (1145, 1266, 1387, 1417, and 1508) and they are all fantastic. In fact I am in the process of building 3 more. Each one casts great and they have held up extremely well.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 03:33PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've long heard so many good things about Rainshadow blanks that I'm eager to give it a shot. I was hoping that someone had built a plugging rod on this blank -- and maybe someone will still chime in -- but I'm 99% sure I'm going to order it.

Posted by: Dave Digirolamo (---.avitecture.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 04:31PM

The first rod I built was this blank. I wrapped it with a simple spiral and I love it. I use it for 2-3 oz lures while surf casting. It is the perfect blue/spanish rod.

I would recommend it without hesitation.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 05:29PM

I've only built on the older Rainshadows and found the SW1087 works great 1 oz to 2 oz, and the SW1088 2 oz to 4 oz (with 4 pushing it).. I just hung a 3 1/2 oz custom plug on an SW 1087, a bit too much IMHO. If I were you I'd build one of each!!

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 09:13PM

Mike from a plugging perspective, do you prefer the SW series or the SU series? I have been contemplating the SW1207, SW 1208, SW1209, or the SU 1207, SU1208.

Tony

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 10:26PM

Tony, I have never used the SU series, so can't comment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster