I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spatulas and bunishing tools.
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 05:59AM

Can anyone recommend spatulas and bunishing tools. I did see the recent spatulas thread and aware of what was said there. I want these tools from one source if possible and I want the best. So im not buying tool after tool trying to figure out on my own whats good and whats not. With the expirence that exsists on this forum this should be a easy task for me to get it right the first time. right? LOL.

PS: If the best have to made and not bought im open to that too.

Thanks!

-Henry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spatulas and bunishing tools.
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 06:45AM

I picked up some inexpensive spatula type tools from Harbor Freight and ground and polished them myself. One for applying the epoxy and the other for filling tunnels and squaring off edges. A crochet needle works too for tunnnels. For a burnishing tool I actually use a "burnishing" tool (have had it for twenty-five years), one made for burnishing dry transfer lettering which in turn, I use for making name decals for customer's rods. Don't know if the tools are available anymore as dry transfers in different sizes are tough to find in the US. Last time I needed lettering I had to order directly from Letraset in England. Jann's and others did not have the color and sizes I needed.

P.S. Just noticed that @#$%& is selling Gudebrod thread burnishing tools in their @#$%& section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2007 06:52AM by Ray Zarychta.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 09:06AM

The spatulas are used by artists and come in a variety of sizes. You can use the side of a pen as a burnishing tool and the genertic white ones as seen in most rod building dist catalogs is the most common. I have not seen a large variety of Mfg burnishing tools offered by anyone, Nor have I seen a store that sells them both, a rod building distributor is the only place the two come together and at that the selection of spatulas might be limited. As for what tool is best might depend on your hands, the type of rod your building as many rod blanks are thick and some are small so a different tool might work better in your hands for a paticular application. I like the smaller bladed spatulas and the old ubiquidous white brunishing tool has held up thus far. Godd luck hunting Mudhole on the left has both also anglers workshop

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.ssimicro.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 11:00AM

[]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 12:13PM

The Acid Rod tools page is pretty complete.

I found the artist's metal spatulas to be thinner and more flexible so it's easier for me to apply finish. I like them better than the plastic ones 'cause if you forget to clean them, I can just hit it with a flame and peel off the old finish and smooth as new. Available at Michaels or other craft stores.

I like the Flexcoat burnishing tool. Has both smooth round surfaces for burnishing and the pointy sharp edge for packing.

Terry

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 12:16PM

Mark and Colleen at @#$%& have everything you'll ever need. They sell a set of 4 stainless steel spatula's and an awesome stainless burnishing tool. I have one and it works great.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 12:52PM

The best thread tool I ever used I got from Mark & Colleen at @#$%& and I think it's
made or dist. by Flex-Coat. I bought a BOX of them!

One note about tools. There are MANY quailty tools available but what works best for one
person won't work well for another. Many of us will modify hand tools to suite our individual
requirements. Regardless of the advice received here Henry, you may find you will need to
buy a couple different types and or modify something to find the tools that work well for YOU.

A perfect example of tools used is posted in the Library section here done by Doc Ski.
See "Packing & Rolling" While Doc showed a couple "off the shelf" tools he also showed
a couple tools he had to modify to sute him.

Henry,
Your email address is "Hidden" unhide it or email me and I'll send you another PDF also
done by Doc regarding tools.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2007 01:07PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 05:25PM

Ok its unhidden...

Thanks to everyone that replyed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster