I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Wood Lathe
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 02:07PM

Relative to a previous post. I got the old Sears wood lathe all finished and running.
Will post some pics soon. According to my calcs it is turning about 862 rpm's with the pully setup I used ( 1/4 hp 1725 rpm with 2 identical step pulleys ) It turns cork fine. My question is ; What is the optimal speed for turning wood ? Is 860+ enough speed for wood or do I need to get up on pulley size at the spindle ?
I also turned some nylon, worked fine. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
Oh ,,one more thing. It is set up for mandril use only.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Wood Lathe
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2007 05:46PM

That depends on the diameter of the turning stock and the type of wood you're turning. Generally, the larger the diameter the slower you want to spin the wood because as the diameter increases so too does the rate of the wood moving past the cutting tool.

As far as hardness of the wood itself, harder woods are turned at slower speeds and softer woods at higher speeds.

I strongly suggest getting yourself an introductory book on basic wood turning. It will pay great dividends in the long run.

Date: February 24, 2007 05:59PM

Good tips Tom. And I will definately get a book.
So , one speed is not good for all woods. Do you think 860 rpm is ok for cork, since I'm only useing sandpaper ? Seems to work fine, no wobble, smooth cutting, clean finish.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 10:01PM

I think I may have been the originator of the previous "old wood lathe" post about a month ago. I am also in mid process of rebuilding my old sears-roebuck wood lathe. I have just picked up two pieces of 1/8" sheet steel, one for a baseplate for the lathe and motor hinge, and the other for the motor itself. I have also ordered a 1/2" drill chuck and a live center from Penn State Industries (both on #1MT tapered arbors) but haven't received them yet. A McMaster-Carr measurement table gave me the #1MT taper sizing (thanks John C.). I will also make an attempt at posting a pic or two after I get it all put together.

Just today I spent a little time at the Scranton PA public library @ Lackawanna College trying to find some old Sears-Roebuck catalogs to search through (no joy there!). I am curious as to how old my lathe is and would love to have a copy of the listing in the catalog with the description and technical specs. I've googled and searched everywhere (no joy with that either!). Any suggestions? A big stack of old Sears catalogs in your grandma's attic?

Rog

Date: February 24, 2007 10:22PM

Hi Roger,,, I dont have any old Sears catalogs , that would be real handy !
I mounted mine on a computer desk top, about 3 X 5 ft and 1 1/2 " thick.
Put on a 3/4 Jacobs chuck with a #2 MT live center.
2 identical 3 step pulleys for speed reduction.
1/4 hp motor mounted on a hinge, attached to a steel plate, with tensioner screws on the other side of the motor.
I shortened the bed down to 3 ft. This thing is a hunk. Runs very strong and smooth.
Will post pics when I get the cork dust off her.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 12:16AM

Roger, if there is a model number on the lathe anywhere, google Old Woodworking Machines and do a search by the model number. You might be able to get a manual/partslist for the lathe. I found one for a 1969 sears lathe. The site is a PITA to find stuff, but there is a message board, that might help you find stuff. It worked for me.

Tony

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 11:13AM

Thanks Tony, I'll give that a shot.

Rog

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 01:17PM

I inherited my grandfather's 48" Sears Craftsman lathe. Won't be able to use it until a garage gets built, though. Thanks for this info Tony. I'll use it as well so that it's ready to go at that time.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 26, 2007 02:13PM

For moderate sized wood turnings it is nice to be able to start at 500 or so rpm. for sanding small objects, it is nice to be able to do 2500 or a few more rpm. You can just do everything at 866, but it will be overall a better setup if you go to the trouble of fitting it with step pulleys.

Date: February 26, 2007 10:26PM

Thanks Bill Moschler, That is exactly what I was looking for. I have step pulleys on the motor and chuck spindle, 2" ,2 1/2" and 3". Right now it is set up with 2" on the motor and 3" on the spindle which I think gives me 1/2 of the motor rpm . Motor rpm being 1725, that should give me about 862 rpm , I think. On second thought,,,If I have 2'' on the motor, I would have to have a 4" pulley on the spindle to cut the rpm in half ???? Is that correct ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster