I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping the tip top .
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 07:54AM

For me the most difficult wrap is the tip top to the blank. It's at the end of the rod section and very fragile. I wrap over the tip top for added insurance that it won't fall off . Do you just wrap up to the tip top and not over it? Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping the tip top .
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:34AM

Usually I just wrap to it then overlap a bit when applying the epoxy. If you need to take it off for whatever reason most of the time you can still salvage the tip wrap that way. It is a PITA to wrap the tip, put your supports as close as you can without them being in the way.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:35AM

I just wrap up to it, but when I apply the finish I go part way onto the tip top.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:41AM

Bill,
I wrap up to the tip top not over because if you ever need to remove the tip you will not destroy your wrap.
The tip should not come off if you prepare blank tip and tip top properly and use some tip adhesive or epoxy. (You still may need to replace the tip because of customer abuses)
Wrapping the tip is tough sometimes, but I made a tip holder for my wrapper that works ok and makes it a little easier. Do a search for (tip top) in the tool section on the photo page I think there is a tip holder there that someone made.

Bill, if I can help in any way let me know.

Lynn

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 10:39AM

I always wrap up to and over the end of the tip top, because I tend to use my equipment pretty hard, and to me the extra durability is worth the extra hassle of redoing the thread wrap when I need to replace a tip top. I don't go nuts wrapping the tip top - depending on the size of the rod, I'll only wrap about an eighth to a quarter of an inch of the top's tube - but I do want the thread and epoxy, when cured, to cover both the blank and the tip top.

I build only larger saltwater stuff that will see hard use, and doing what I do may be overkill on lighter freshwater rods and/or stuff that's banged around a lot less than my gear. But so far the wraps on my tip tops have held up, through many days and nights of fishing, and of banging them against rocks and jetties and other stuff when surf fishing at night.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 12:16PM

Regarding the comment "For me the most difficult wrap is the tip top to the blank...".
Check this support tool out, maybe it will help: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Paul_Schendel (---.kochind.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 12:35PM

And here's another view.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 12:39PM

I dry fit the tip top, mark the end, and then wrap to the mark. I suppose you could get away with an overlapping wrap onto the tip top, but if you worked that same way on heavy-duty saltwater rods, the tip top would look pretty bulky (imho).I apply finish to the wrap first. Then when the finish has cured, I'll affix the tip top

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: February 23, 2007 12:56PM

On my last few rods I have decided to not place a wrap up to the tip top... and no one notices! Thw wrap is just decorative anyway.

I do put two thin coats of Threadmaster over the end of the tip top anyway, to help seal it and keep water from getting under the tip.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 05:31PM

Like the others, I go to the tip so it can be removed wiyhout destroying the wrap

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:31PM

I wrap up and over the tip. Have noticed rods that were not done, that have that the tip come loose or twist to the side after time. I have never had a tip come loose or twist that was wrapped.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (72.236.238.---)
Date: February 25, 2007 05:24AM

Fuji makes one style of tip-top, their BMNAT, that has a foot extending past the rest of sleeve, which can be wrapped over for security. Great for heavy duty surf rods. The "B" stands for black, their chrome CMNAT doesn't have the foot, according to the catalog pictures.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 12:12PM

Thread or no thread...wrap over the tip or don't wrap over the tip...if the tip top has moved or rotated on a rod, it wasn't installed properly or the correct epoxy/cement wasn't used.

If I wrap the tip, it is only to the tube not over it. I then make sure the finish seals the threads well against the tube and possibly just a tad up onto it...but so little that it would never be noticed.

Jay

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 25, 2007 01:24PM

I would have to agree with Jay on the tip top's initial gluing. A bit of thread on that round barrel and some epoxy finish isn't going to solve the problem of a poorly glued-on tip top. If done incorrectly, I seriously doubt that thread and finish up onto the barrel of that tip top will be the savior of it not turning or coming off.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster