I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who is Jim Grandt?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 02:05AM

Who is this guy and what is a 2 time rod building champion?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 02:06AM by Raymond_Adams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who is Jim Grandt?
Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: February 23, 2007 02:14AM

erm, how do you define a rod building champion ? and who judges the competition ?

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: February 23, 2007 02:15AM

good question

Raymond Adams

Date: February 23, 2007 02:18AM

saw some of the work on the grandt industries page... then everyone here is a champ!...

except me ...

-

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 02:46AM

Where is the site that declares Jim Grandt the rod building Champ? Who decided him the Champ? Everyone here knows I am the (Champ of spellers)!!! Rite Emory....HEE HEE
Good Weaps Bob

Date: February 23, 2007 02:49AM

If you google him or rod building champion it's the first one
on top of MANY @#$%& pages! LOL

Raymond Adams

Date: February 23, 2007 02:57AM

statement retracted! just read how the title came about

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 03:32AM by Christopher Tan.

Date: February 23, 2007 03:04AM

ray , take a look

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

-

Date: February 23, 2007 03:04AM

Raymond are you saying Jim Grandt sold himself on @#$%& to become the Champ or chump of builders. I think There is a word for a person that sells him or her self
Good Wrap Bob

Date: February 23, 2007 03:13AM

I think I owe Jim Grandt an appology. Sorry Jim I was just being funny. I read the rod site on him. It sounds like he is a true rod builder When someone builds split bamboo rods they are truly a custom rod builder. Jim my hat is off to you
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 23, 2007 03:14AM

Thanks for the search links Christopher!

My intention here was not to make sport of Jim (although his website is hard not to chuckle at)
but wanted some info. I had also never heard of a "National Rod Building" contest.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 03:43AM

I visited the Grandt Rods booth at the Indianapolis Boat Sport and Travel Show. I saw the trophies he won and when I asked if they were going to High Point they said "What's in High Point?". I told them about the ICRBE and they actually said that they were already Rod Building champions and that there was nothing for them there. Thats fine with me. Overall I'd say their arrogance was only really noticeable to me since I know better. The rods on display were well made and had lots of eye candy on them. The price for most rods seemed reasonable given the amount of work being done on them. As for custom, those rods are no more custom than a commercial rod in my book but there's a sucker born every minute and somewhere there is a village missing it's idiot.

John

Date: February 23, 2007 04:01AM

well. .. rod builders are competition to him in a business sense..

though i retracted one of my earlier statements.. i feel that the emphasis shouldnt be on the title.. (but hey.. the title sells rods, so why not?)

if the quality of work has gone down (reading from some of the old post), and some unknowing guy buys the rod just because it's from a 2 time national champion and sees the quality.. he may just feel that custom rods are crap

just imagine, RBO is a recognized forum , and with Americans from all over participating in this forum.. you guys can hold a competition amongst yourselves representing the different states, and well, the winner could also be declared national champion,.

-

Date: February 23, 2007 05:50AM

He may think of himself as a champion. But in what class. weaving. over all appearance of his rods. Does his rods cast better or does his rods fight a fish better or does he make all his components for his rods. Maybe his finished rods have a better appearance in aesthetic looks. What class does he fall under. As I stated earlier if he makes split bamboo rods from scratch he may fall into all categories. the question is who was he competing with or against. Also was he making Bass rods, Off Shore, salmon, Steelhead trout, Casting, Jigging or Ffly rods. To be an all around rod Champion rod builder takes in a large criteria of rod designing or building. Maybe he just found the right weaves or color combination
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 07:12AM

"Just think, the winner could actually challenge teh "other" world champion rodbuilder...or so he's been claiming for the past 20 years. lol. If I were granted one wish, this would be it...LOL!!"

THis is from another thread, I was hoping someone caught my play on words. Now that this has been brought up amybe a few of you will.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:35AM

There would be as many more champs in rodbuilding as there are in automobile racing. Some classy, some big and fast, some little and fast, some like rockets and some just purdy. All would be nice to see on public display but the most interesting of all to me would be a drag race with a 30 minute time limit! Now hat would be something to see happen right in front of your eyes. I really doubt it that Mr. G would put up an entry fee!

Date: February 23, 2007 08:36AM

I went to his site and saw were rods with a weave pattern on them. I also read a statement, stating I would catch more fish using his rod. ( BOLDER DASH)!!!!. I thought a custom rod was built for a single party. Not a bunch of mass-produced rods with a fancy wrap.
Good Wraps Bob Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. I now think he is a champion in his own mind. From the pictures I saw it looks like the same components that the mass produced manufactures use. If his statement can sell rods go for it

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2007 08:39AM

Jim won two contests held by Gudebrod among a small number of rod builders at a trade event. The title was bestowed by Gudebrod, so he's their champion. Whether you choose to recognize Gudebrod as any sort of governing body in rod building is up to you.

I see no reason to make fun of Jim or give him a hard time about this. He's done what many custom rod builders are trying hard to do - become successful selling rods in a market that is pretty competitive.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: February 23, 2007 09:03AM

The reason people make fun of him is he is so rude towards any other rodbuilder, and he's an arrogant person. REALLY arrogant. He reaps what he sows.

Date: February 23, 2007 09:56AM

Question is who was he judged against and for what class of rods? If it were sponsored by a thread company. He must have won because of some everyday fancy thread work. That is what I saw on his rods, mundane everyday thread work. The kind of thread work a novice would start out doing. Look at the thread work on the photo page here. His thread work would not even get an honorable mention here. OPS!!! I did made a no, no I am starting to make slanderous comments on a builder I do not have an inkling who he is. I apologies for my past comments. For all I know he my make the best rod sense sliced bread.
Good Wraps Bob

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster