I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

waterslide vs. peel-n-stick
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:55AM

I just used my first decals from Decal Connection, some peel-n-stick, and they turned out great and were easy to use. You can see a slight edge of the clear decal material if you really look.

Are waterslides really better, and how difficult are they?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: waterslide vs. peel-n-stick
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 02:19PM

All things have a learning curve, but waterslides are pretty darned easy and if done right are totally invisible when you're done doing them. Practicing with just a few before moving on to that one you want to be "perfect" on your new rod makes good sense. Don't want to be sweating bullets or anything like that!!

I've gotten to the point that if a rod manufacturer's decal is peel and stick, I photograph it, size it the way that fits the blank best, and make a waterslide out of it. Not that the original is bad, more so that I can size it than anything else.

Putter

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 03:42PM

I've used quite a few of the peel-n-stick decals from St. Croix and other manufacturers over the years. Recently, I started using the waterslides from Decal Connection. They're so easy, and they look so good. Now, I would never purposely choose to use a peel-n-stick rather than a waterslide. It's so nice to be able to put the waterslide on the blank, then move it around a little, until I get it perfect. I can't do that with a peel-n-stick. Further, no matter how careful I am, I always end up with a little smudge on the edge of a peel-n-stick (either from my fingers or tweezers touching the back). It's not an issue with waterslides. About the only advantage that I can think of for the peel-n-stick decals is that they can be put directly on a blank, whereas waterslides require a coat of epoxy.

So, to answer your question, waterslides are immeasurably better than peel-n-stick. And, if you follow the RM instructions (either from the magazine, or posted as a PDF file on Decal Connection's site), they're incredibly easy.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 04:17PM

I like the PEEL n STICK because I like to look at my thumb print under the decal and the finish for the rest of my life..

I don't get that thumb print from Decal Connection !!!!!!!!!!

<*)))><

Posted by: Skeet Bennett (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 06:37PM

If you haven't tried the new peel and stick decals from Decal Connection you might want to try them. They'll change your mind about peel and stick decals. They are nearly as thin as waterslide and very easy to use.

Skeet Bennett
www.skeetsfishingrods.com

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 08:58PM

ART...

I read your post and almost feel off my chair laughing so $%! hard!!!

I like the DC's water slide...But I remember tryng to put one of my custom labels ffrom my business and it took me 6 before I got it right-to the toon of 4 bucks each!! LOL. Don't try and stick one at 5 am!!!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster