I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralite grip
Posted by: Josh England (72.16.183.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:21AM

How long should the rear grip be on a 5' UL rod. Im going to use a St.Croix SC111 blank. I was thinking of doing a spit grip, but need to figure out where to mount the reel seat.
Also, how does this sound for guides 20, 12, 8, 6, 6. Will that work? Im a fly rod builder, so Im not to sure about spinning rod stuff. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralite grip
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:33AM

On a 5' UL I personally wouldn't have a rear grip longer than five or six inches, and wouldn't consider a split grip......that's just my preference.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:36AM

Grip placement should be whatever you like and is comfortable for you. I'm working on 2 5' U/L right now. One is a split with each piece 1 1/2"" a (birch bark/burl) with about a 3" space between them. The other is a 4 1/2" grip

I will probably end up with a 20 butt guide a 10 or 12 SF and the rest #6 ceramic fly guides, depending on static test and the New Concept method outlined in the library above.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:45AM

I used a split grip, but the rod blank itself was longer 7'-6", but even at that I didn't want to lose a great deal of business end with a rear grip , so I extended just the very end of the rod 3" and the original blank just goes inside the rear cork section of the split grip. Most full size rods only really require three size guides, and this rod is even smaller. A natural progression of guides does not often paralle the reels upsweep (which is often steeper) when concept guiding to create a focused guide funnel for a specific reel.

looks like this:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2007 01:37PM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:49AM

I would use the following guides: 20,16,12,10,8,6. Natural progression.

<*)))><

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:59AM

Like Mike says, do whatever is comfortable for you. The more I use the handle design on Tom Kirkman's light line smallmouth spinning rod, the more I like it. I think it's perfect for any rod when you are mostly fighting the fish off your wrist or only need a little bit of leverage from the rear grip. It allows you to use more of the blank to cast and fight fish. If you don't have the RodMaker issue with the handle I'm talking about, it's a Fuji NPS18 seat in downlocking configuration with some threads trimmed to make it as short as possible. 3-4" rear grip. I leave off the foregrip. My 3S60LF built this way has BYAG20, BYAG10, then 4 x BLAG6s and a BFAT6 tip top. You could probably do the same thing but drop 1 of the 6s for your 5' rod.

Posted by: Josh England (72.16.183.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 11:02AM

Thanks for the replies so far, Steve, do you have any pics the style grip you are talking about?

Date: February 22, 2007 11:06AM

Yes, but your e-mail is hidden. E-mail me (click on my name) and I will send you a picture of my 3S60LF.

Date: February 22, 2007 11:27AM

Josh, I went ahead and put the picture on the photo page. It's no work of art but it is very comfortable. If you want to see a beautiful example, see the one Stan Grace posted a few days ago - mine looks like a dog turd compared to Stan's, LOL. Anyway, this gives you an idea of what I was describing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2007 01:09PM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 01:49PM

Steve is to kind in his comparison. The grip I posted is a 2 1/2" rear grip of wood combined with an NPS seat similar to Steve's. I find that is actually plenty of length for me from an UL to a light spinning rod grip. I used a 1 3/4 " wooden fore grip just for looks and balance. On an UL rod it could be omitted or shortened to just a button with no performance loss. Actually in the picture I posted the blank is a 5', 1/16 to 1/4 oz lure weight blank and the guides are secured with the PermaGloss wrapless system that Bill Steven's provided information on. After a bit of prior testing I intend to land at least one 20 lb King Salmon with it in June.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2007 02:30PM

RodMaker, Volume 10 #1, has a complete and in-depth article on Ultra-Light rods. Handle length is well covered.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 07:57PM

And an excellent article it is. I specialize in ultra-light spinning & fly rods and make a goodly number of fly-spin combination rods and just on the first read-through I learned something new to me. The new issue arrived today so that and the "Letters" are all I've read so far. Too, I've been unlearning 'myths' for at least 10 years now thanks to Tom K., this site and RodMaker. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 09:28PM

Josh, thanks for starting this thread. I'm in the process of building a couple UL/L rods. I received the latest RMM but haven't spent time with it yet. Appreciate everyone's input.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster