I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Competition..possible?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 09:43AM

Bill Bartlett brought this up in another thread, and it was mentioned to me several times over the weekend. I think about other shows and Art Exhibits which I have attended where tehy give out ribbon's or prizes to the best of a particular category, and wonder if that would be something to look into for next year's event?

This doesn't have to be strictly artistic rods...I saw 3 rods from 2 builders which had teeny tiny guides, maybe it would really inspire more people to think outside of the box to come up with new and innovative ideas and components for their rods.

I also think that people who don't win will be heartbroken, but I think the majority would have a lot of fun with this type of a competition. I'm not looking for this to be run by teh ICRBE staff, tehy have more than enough things to worry about, but I'm sure a few rod racks can be placed somewhere with teh rods...in the least it would make for an impressive display of rods, and would be a lot of fun for those who participate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Competition..possible?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2007 09:50AM

I don't want to get involved with it personally, but anyone with a booth there could certainly undertake it. Why not the NERBS? You guys put on a nice in-booth wrapping demonstration anyway. We have a year to kick it around. I'm sure something can be done along these lines.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:13AM

Maybe have the attendees do ballots???? That would eliminate any claims of "partial" Judges.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 22, 2007 10:27AM

Mike, I deleted that part of my post when I realized that someone migh thave to account for 500+ ballots. It was bad enough I counted book sales while sitting on the toilet after the show, I'd hate to have to keep track of ballots, lol. Unless the bar crew wanted to help, there were more than enough guys down there each night with nothing else to do except @#$%& & drink a few beers.

I agree it would be tough to find impartial judges. We'll worry abotu that if this actually takes off.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:56AM

You could eliminate the favoritism from the contest by not having any names associated to the rods that are entered,, the rod has a ticket with a number on it , and the owner has the other 1/2 of the ticket with the same number on it,, the judge calls out the "number" of the winning rod. Almost like a raffle ticket type thing..

<*)))><

Date: February 22, 2007 11:03AM

Raffle...did someone say RAFFLE??? I finally won, yippee! lol.

Good idea, we just have to make sure that none of the rods are posted on the boards prior to the show. One thing I have noticed is I can kind of tell who built what rod just from looking at it. For example, Mark Crouse's rods are really easy to spot: his style, color selection and components are unique. But for someone who doesnt' spend hours studying the photo page for a Final Exam, this is a great idea, thanks.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 12:01PM

Billy,I would love to count the votes and also enter a rod.Would that be possible???We got a year to work this out lets run with it.It will prompt builders to bring rods to the show.Sort of how you looked over the trolling rod the gentleman with the little girl had on Sunday.Just more to look at.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 12:25PM

You could have 2 catagories, PROFESSIONAL & NON-PROFESSIONAL !!!!!!!

There,, that should cover it all !~

<*)))><

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 12:42PM

Well Billy,

Great idea!! My post was looking at trying to get the youngsters involved somehow, but whatever works!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 06:22PM

Billy,
If your book doesn't get me where I need to be with wrapping, I guess I'll volunteer the 'bar crew' to at least count votes.

clyde

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 06:30PM

Yeah, that would be some count!!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 22, 2007 09:20PM

Billy, you would need a large number of anonymous wrap judges who might have lots of varied ideas of what is "best." What one likes might not be what another likes, therefore the need for lots of judges. The fact is one of you NERB will win because of your great skills (I'll subit an early vote for Mike Joyce's wrap, whatever it is). This is all said in jest.

Go for it if you think it'll work. Good to see you at the Big Show.

Stan

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 12:29AM

instead of needing to count votes why not do something like

if 10 rods are entered have 10 numbered sheets of paper and have everyone that votes sign thier name under the rod they like and at the end look at the last signature and see what number it is

just throwing around an idea ;)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 06:13AM

Then the winner wouldnt be a surprise.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster