I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultimate Gel question??
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 01:29PM

I'm working on my first rod and am using Andy's new Ultimate Gel to attach the reel seat and handle to the rod. Has anyone else used this stuff? I was wondering because I made a total mess trying to measure it out and ended up with it spread all over everything.

What is the easiest way to measure out equal parts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultimate Gel question??
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 03:24PM

I haven't used it yet, but from talking to Andy, I understand it's mixed like Rod Bond. Just use a couple popsicle sticks, eyeball it and fold together/blend on a piece of cardboard and put it where you want it. Precise measurement is not critical

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 20, 2007 03:49PM

Thanks Mike. That's basically how I did it but since this is my first rod build and I had never worked with any of this stuff before I wasn't really sure if that's the way to go. I also had some problems with getting it all over everything. I'm not a very neat person to begin with but by the time I was done it felt like I, the rod, and my entire work area were covered in the stuff. The good news is that it seemed to clean up fairly easily with alcohol. Hopefully on my next build I'll be able to figure out how to do this without covering myself in it.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 03:55PM

Good thing you didnt use a liquid epoxy or you would have a bigger mess!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 06:46PM

Use a popsicle stick and scoop it out directly onto a piece of cardboard....mix as usual. Measuring is not critical on this product. Obvioulsy get as close as possible, but there's no need to use any easuring spoons or anything, just get close, and it will cure just fine.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 06:51PM

Here is something you might try. I have not done yet, but the idea came to me while at the show this week end.
Take two syringes, like you use with thinner epoxies. Cut the very ends off so that the barrels’ opening is the same size as the barrel. As you gently push the syringe into the epoxy pull back on the plunger to what ever amount you want. Then remove and scrape off the edge of barrel on the jar edge like you do when trying to make a level teaspoon. Do that with each part and you should be able to have exact equals to mix. Just remember to use same plunger in same jar each time. Also Ralf Quinn said in his seminar that as long as you are with in about 5% of equal parts you would be okay

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 07:26PM

Ralph is speaking for his product not mine. Our margin for mixing error is much more forgiving than 5%. Additionally, if you're going to off, be off in favor of the resin, as it will eventually dry....the hardener will stay sticky forever.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 08:26PM

Thanks Andy for th info!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 09:11PM

To apply the epoxy to the rod when gluing grips and reel seat arbors up, I use a piece of rubber screen door's weatherstrip. It's available at a hardware store.

It's a piece of rubber attached to an aluminum backing. I cut about an inch of it off with a heavy tin snip and use it like a spatula. Works really good for me and keeps the mess to a minimum, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 09:31PM

I like that weather strip idea Putter. I just stick my finger in a plastic bag and spread it around.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:22PM

Steve,

That is a great idea and since I've been doing it with ALL epoxy's for over a year now, I can tell everyone it WORKS and workd GREAT. Everything 2 part I have in the rod room has a syringe in it!

DR

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:30PM

Ooops, I meant to say measuring and mixing error in my last post.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:33PM

you can also wear latex gloves, similarly along the lines of using a plastic bag. i use gloves when i apply thread finish as well. it helps keep a lot of things clean.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: February 20, 2007 10:52PM

I think what Burton is referring to is the fact that UG in it's unmixed individual parts is a bit "stickier" than other Gels. This is because we use gelling agents instead of "fillers" to achieve a thick consistecy. Sometimes fillers like fumed silica, microballoons, wood flour can decrease certain performance characteristics of an epoxy, so we chose to use gelling agents instead which give a different consistency but do not alter the performance characteristics. However, once the two parts are mixed together, UG changes consistency a bit...it's very slippery, wets out very well, and is easy to work with and mixes together very quickly.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: February 21, 2007 12:43PM

Andy Dear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think what Burton is referring to is the fact
> that UG in it's unmixed individual parts is a bit
> "stickier" than other Gels.
> Andy Dear
> Lamar Fishing

Andy, that's exactly what I was talking about. Unmixed the stuff really is sticky, but like you said when it was mixed it did become nice and slick. I was initially concerned that I wouldn't be able to get my cork grip on but after the gel is mixed it slipped on really easily.

The good news is I did something right and the reel seat and handle are both on the rod.

Thanks for the Gel Andy. My first attempt with it was messy but it was successful. Now it's time to try and see if I can avoid covering everything with Threadmaster.

Date: February 21, 2007 02:35PM

Hey, look at it this way....whatever you happen to cover with ThreadMaster, at least it will stay clear.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 03:41PM

Andy,

What are the stats on the 5 min U gel? I know it sets in 5 min, but what is the real cure/ready to use/abuse time?

DR

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: February 21, 2007 04:33PM

5 minutes, and you're ready to rock....no waiting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster