I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spatula for finish
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:24AM

I see a lot of talk about applying finish with a spatula. I have not seen a tool like this in any rod building catalogs. What exactly do you use?

Also, does it really help keep bubbles down?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spatula for finish
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:56AM

HI
All the suppliers have them. Other tools to apply finish, could use old ( or new ) credit card, other type of semi stiff plastic cut to different sizes to fit the job, etc......

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 11:05AM

McDonalds has some awesome indivdually wrapped white plastic rodbuilders spatulas for a great price!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 12:08PM

i got mine from @#$%&

[]

half way down that page...i just got the spatula($2.90) but they have a 4 piece set($8.99) that looks pretty good

i like the one i have but im going to get another one because sometimes i need that one but with the head at 90 degrees to make it easier

Date: February 20, 2007 12:34PM

Mark (@#$%&) has really nice ones!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 12:44PM

Thanks Mike,

Just ordered the new 4 pc. set from Acid Rod, can't wait to try it!

Marc

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 01:06PM

You can also go by any art supplier (or a Michael's or a Ben Franklin's) and get a pallet knife. That's what I did. It seemed both ideal and reasonably inexpensive.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 02:21PM

More interesting than WHERE to get a spatula, does anyone have any good instructions on HOW to use one? Mudhole and @#$%& both offer a set of spatulas, but someone please tell me WHAT to do with the spatula shaped like a garden trowel?!

Date: February 20, 2007 03:38PM

Tony,

Just play and use whichever one(s) work best for you. There is no particular one for rodbuilding. These all were designed fo other purposes (art, dentistry, etc), like most "rodbuilding" tools that we use. They just turned out to be very useful for applying finish.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 03:55PM

Aside from being a great tool for picking dried epoxy from your fingernails, I found the little "spade" shaped spatula handy for packing finish into the tunnels at the guide feet as well as getting Rod Bond on the very edges of tape bushings and getting that last couple of drops of epoxy out of the mixing cup when I come up a hair short. As mentioned above, those are used in a various trades and just happen to work well in a variety of Rod Building applications. Many customers modify them to different angles and shapes to suit their needs.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.mystarhub.com.sg)
Date: February 20, 2007 08:16PM

tony,

try reading the pdf file from [www.hisrodshop.com]

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:58PM

Check with Anglers Workshop.
They have spatulas
Joe

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 11:26PM

Christopher.... great link. Thanks

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 11:19AM

I concur! The article was exactly what I was looking for. I also ordered a set of spatulas from @#$%&. Their little marketing ploy at last year's show worked well. (Where they handed out spatulas). I now make a simple association between spatulas and @#$%&. San Dimas High Scholl Football rules!!!

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 12:05PM

The spatulas are easily found too. The wax and clay modeling guys use them a lot (including dentists). All are stainless that I've seen. Many shapes and sizes,,,, and qualities of stainless finish. I have a bent triangular one I've been using for awhile to scrape excess glue out of the corner of joints in my woodworking. Pretty multipurpose tools. Non magnetic stainless for the ones I have.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.61.---)
Date: February 22, 2007 10:13PM

i found some some dentistry supply shops.. now to pay them a visit for the spatula!

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster