I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gator Glass Blanks for a First Time Rod Builder
Posted by: Mark Smith (---.8-67.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:15AM

I'm about to build my first rid and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about whether I should or shouldn't use a Gator Glass blank.
I'm looking at them because they're inexpensive and I wouldn't worry too much about the financial ramifications if I messed up.
My concern is that they aren't finished and I think the guide feet might not sit right if I wrap them as is.(Peaks and valleys)
I love an matte finish and would like to build it the way it sits but I don't want to make this first rod more difficult than it has to be.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gator Glass Blanks for a First Time Rod Builder
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 01:36PM

Mark Gator glass blanks are fine 1st rod to the 100th, the guide feet will sit level on the blank,you do want to make sure your wraps are packed tightly which should be done anyway, another consideration would be some of the glass Batson blanks they are sanded.
John

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.student.eku.edu)
Date: February 20, 2007 02:10PM

I think the gator glass rod blanks are awesome...I have built 3 rods on them now and they work great. For the price you can't beat em. with the unfinished and uneven blanks if it becomes a problem you can underwrap your guide feet...just wrap where the guide goes put some color preserver on it to seal the thread and then place the guide and wrap over it and should result in no problems. the only thing is that they have a pretty big OD so you need to buy a 18-20 mm reel seat to fit properly and if you use cork its kind of a chore to ream it out to fit. Also it will take a little more thread to wrap a rod.

But as far as looks are considered they look great unfinished i have had no problems what so ever when people look at one of my rods they are usually distracted by the thread work. Good luck to ya man hopefully it turns out well.

Posted by: Danny Will (192.234.136.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 04:42PM

Mark,

Just finished a bumper wrapped casting rod. Did some cross wrapping and did not us an under-wrap on the guides. Rod turned out great. No problems with the guides sitting straight and solid. Wrap it and enjoy.

Danny D. Will
Expatriated Conch

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 06:58PM

Mark it's really hard to mess up if you take your time, if Gator Glass is the rod you want than go at it. If it's not the rod you'll be using 5 years from now than it's time and money poorly spent in my opinion. I still use my first rod. Lamiglas IM700 MH salmon/steelhead rod. It's not my best work, but it fishes beautfully still. Your never really stuck with a mistake unless you damage the blank, guides can be rewrapped many times til you get it right, and if you use Rod Bond as your adhesive you have hours to realize that you installed something wrong before it sets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster