I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3wt
Posted by: paul hilo (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:15PM

I was wondering who makes a blank thats 7'6 or 7'9 3 or 4 piece 2 or 3 wt ? Ive been looking but it seems there a little hard to find.I would also like the blank to be some what affordable. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3wt
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:44PM

I think Scott has a 3 pc. 3 weight that is 7'10". At least they produced a rod like that a few years ago that Harry Murray proclaimed the ideal for Shennendoah National Park brookies.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 12:06AM

St Croix makes one of each in SCIII graphite. The Lamiglas ET904 Appalachian travel rod is one of my favorites in this category.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 09:26AM

Dan Craft FTL blank. 8' 5 piece. (FTL 803-5)

I just built one for a customer and it is one of the nicest 3 wt blanks I've seen. It's a little more money than the St. Croix and less than the Scott models mentioned above but I think you would be much happier with it.

Dan is a sponsor and link to the left.

Good luck.

Terry

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: February 20, 2007 01:25PM

CTS makes a few that sized.... very nice blanks also. contact andy dear at lamar fishing. i have waved some of these stix around and let me tell ya, they are very very nice (also, from what i hear you don't have to wrap their ferrules!)

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.student.eku.edu)
Date: February 20, 2007 02:15PM

janns netcraft sportsman series blanks...they have a 7'9'' 3 wt for about 50 bucks i built into a trout rod for fishing wild trout streams in south west Va...Mine is a little shorter after a friend picked it up to admire it and stuck the tip into a ceiling fan...now its about 7'3'' but doesn't hurt the rod any.

It actually has a bit of backbone to it as well. I landed a 12 inch smalie in NC with it last year though it got into my backing once it got into the current i still managed to land it...a beast of a fish on a 3wt.

Posted by: Brant Widness (---.ipnets.xtra.co.nz)
Date: February 20, 2007 03:17PM

Loomis makes a 7'6" 3 wt. in an IMX. It's about 140 bucks, but well worth it. It has plenty of backbone for bigger fish and longer throws. I think that is my favorite rod in the quiver at the moment. Good luck.

Brant Widness

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 06:43PM

Paul,
If you are planning on fishing a three weight line on this rod, I would suggest that you try to learn the ERN of the blanks you are considering. Often blanks of this size and line weight are used on smaller streams where shorter casts may be necessary. The ERN will guide you toward a rod that will allow you to load the rod with the three weight line you intend to fish. Not all rods labeled three weight will do in these circumstances.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:54PM

what's most important to you, a 3 wt or that length or the 3-4 pieece configuration? pacific bay has their tradition II and rainforest II blanks in a 7'-9" 4 pc 3wt. size and relatively "affordable" although i LOVE my dan craft FTL 8', 6 piece 3 wt for about twice as much. what conditions are you fishing?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: robert schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 08:50AM

You can also buy a longer 4 or 5 piece and drop the butt section... Bob.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 10:25AM

Paul,

If you can use 2pc. I've got a down & dirty deal on a few 3wt. 7'6" IM7 blanks.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 21, 2007 04:28PM

Three that I have built and can highly recommend are:

St. Croix 4F793.4
Five Rivers FTL 803-5
Five Rivers FTL 803-6

For a fun little three weight at a truly bargain price I recommend Forecast F763-2

All of these rods are affordable when you think what factory rods sell for these days. Treat yourself to one of the top 3 I listed and you won't regret it.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 21, 2007 04:35PM

i made my buddy a 7'9" 3wt, 2 piece from a batson RX6 (forecast) blank. it's pretty sweet for small streams, but we're getting away from the request for a 3 or 4 piece blank.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster