I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ok, I'm new
Posted by: ryan_freberg (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 07:28PM

I am going to build an 8' 6" 4 weight rod on a forecast blank. I'm not looking to go expensive on components, I just want this one to cast well since this is my first rod. Unfortunetally, I have no idea what parts will fit my rod, or what is good or bad to use. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ok, I'm new
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 07:49PM

contact any of the sponsors on the left and they will get you what you need

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 08:00PM

Contact Bill Batson at 1877- 875-2381 His company manufctures the blank. The number is toll free
Good Wraps Bob. Ryan where are you located

Date: February 19, 2007 08:37PM

I am located in Arizona

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:15PM

Ryan,

What kind of guides are you looking for? Snake, single foot, wire, ceramic? Stainless, chrome, titanium, holographic ? Are you looking for a double or single locking reel seat? What kind of grip do you like? There are questions I ask myself when I'm building a rod for me, or for anyone else.

Many of the sponsors, as well as other vendors who cater to rod builders sell rod components singularly or in kit form. That would be a good place to start to get some ideas as to the the components within the price range you might be looking for.
Over the years, I purchased a wide range of components from Dan Craft, he does carry reel seats, grips, and guides to fit budgets from the tight to the sky's the limit.

Without you providing specifics to your budget level, I think anyone here would be hard pressed to really zero you in to the exact items you're looking for. But, having said that, I'm confident that if you look hard enough, you'll be able to build your 4 wgt from good component under $50.
While it's a nice concept to build a rod using titanium or other specialty guides, or including a Strubble reel seat, I still build and use rods that are put together using basic guides and decent, but inexpensive reel seats. If done right, you don't need bullet-proof components on a 4 wgt.

Good luck, and let us know how your project is going. And don't hesitate to start a new post to ask questions about a specific component or a specific set of components.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 09:22PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Date: February 19, 2007 09:20PM

Ok, thank you very much Patrick. I think on this one I'm going to go all black finish and just have it as a "go anywhere rod". But, it would be ok to call Bill Batson, or a place such as hookhack.com, or mudhole.com and talk with them and they can get me what I need? I figured the people that answered the phone didn't really know what they were talking about and it would be a waste of time.

Also, price wise, I'm wanting to go 80$ or under.

Thank you for the help,
Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 09:30PM by ryan_freberg.

Date: February 19, 2007 09:33PM

Ryan, By doing a little homework ahead of time, and then emailing or calling them with specific questions, I'm confident they'll be able to help you. But, there is a ton of information on this website and on the Internet that'll help you make some informed decisions.
Google around the Internet and on the vendor websites. Places like Dan Craft or Custom Tackle Supply, or Bingham Enterprises have pretty good selections on the sites. And their customer support is superb.

Just remember, that by doing a little work ahead of time, you'll help them help you.

Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 09:42PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Date: February 19, 2007 09:48PM

Are there any sites that have cheat sheets, such as showing what guides fit what weight rods, or what grips fit what weight rods, and etc. That would really help me so I could understand what I'm looking at,

Thank you very much for helping. It has made this much easier than I thought so far.

Date: February 19, 2007 11:56PM

Ryan,
Conduct a search on this site. I wouldn't call them official, but there have been plenty of participants who have greater experience with fly rods than I, who have posted excellent guidelines on matching guides.

I would recommend keeping the number of guides on the conservative side, particularly on a 4 wgt to minimize dampening or negatively affecting rod performance.
I recently completed a 9 ft 5 wgt multi-piece rod using single foot ceramic guides. Here's the list of guides I used:

(1) #10 double foot Stripper
(1) # 7 single foot
(5) #6 single foot
Wire tip top

I used a wire tip top guide instead of a matching ceramic guide because I didn't like the look of the ceramic tip top guide, and I use wire guides on many of the fly rods I have built. There are some builders who use the same size guides after the stripper guides. I'm still experimenting, so either way is okay with me.

I try to follow the rule to use over-sized guides regardless of the rod wgt to ensure the knots pass through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 11:58PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 01:17AM

I would call Batson first. Then there is Neal's Fishing Products
8715 E. Amelia Ave
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Email [email protected] FAX: (480) 829-6122 TELEPHONE: 1-480-945-6122
He may beable to help. Neal is also a sponsor located on the left.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 11:30AM

The rodbuilding community is unlike any other. The vendors on the left are veirtually all builders , very knowledable and, most importantly, willing to talk and help/work with any new builder (or old one) regardless with how much you may (or may not) spend. You just entered a whole new world!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 01:16AM

Additionally, if you email Karry Batson at Batson Enterprises with the specific blank you are using, you can request, and receive, a template with all the components for your particular blank, the item numbers, sizes, and the guide spacing. Everything you need to build the rod is there in black and white. You only need to pick the color of thread you need. They are great folks, there.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster