I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What type of brush do you use?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 06:36AM

I use the cheap brushes that come with the Flex Coat kit and they don't seem to do a good job. I'm thinking of getting a better brush and use epoxy cleaner .
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What type of brush do you use?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 07:51AM

I use Testors nylon brushes and clean them. The 1/4 inch flat brush is almost a combined spatula and brush. The bristles will never come out of the brush.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 08:24AM

I use Golden Taklon brushes from Dick Blick. I use a range of flats depending on the width of my wraps. A good quality brush, if taken care of will last a long time.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 08:27AM

Someone on this site years ago recommended the red handled Plaid brand Painter brushes and they're the best for the money I have found. They come in various widths, about $2 apiece, and clean up well with acetone. I get mine in the craft section of Walmart but most any craft store should carry them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 09:54AM

What do you use for Brush Cleaner? 91%Alcohol-Acetone-Naptha?

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:20AM

the best brush is no brush at all. i think better results are to be had with spatulas (for applying finish on wraps).

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:27AM

Bill,

I've got a large selection of brushes available to me by just taking them off the shelf, but I keep going back to the Flex Coat 1/8" Purple brushes. They're stiffer than the 1/4" Yellow brushes making it easier to distribute the finish if you get too much on. The 1/4" brushes will hold a lot of finish which many builders like, but IMO don't have the "backbone" to distribute lage amounts of finish evenly. On large/long wraps, I'll even crimp them to spread them out as shown in Scott's photos below.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

When I was using Sable brushes, I'd clean them with Alcohol and them store them in Flex Coat or U-40 cleaner. That keeps them soft because of the "conditioner' in it. I'd hit them again with Alcohol before use. Alcohol or Acetone works for cleaning, but used alone tends to dry the brush out making it stiff.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2007 11:28AM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:56AM

I use mostly Sable brushes & clean them in U40 Brush cleaner & thoroughly dry them with a paper towel. I haven't found the need to use anything else. As long as they are properly cleaned they remain soft & supple. However I did purchase some of the 1/8" & 1/4" brushes from @#$%& but have not tried them yet.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Jerry Sloan (---.164.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:33PM

When you speak of alcohol are you talking about denatured or rubbing ? Mark, what brand of wrapping machine is that in your photo's ? Thanks

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:47PM

Denatured/Pac Bay machine

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 20, 2007 09:40AM

The best brush is a spatula. I watched Ralp O'Quinn's demo's twice and I'm convinced for guides and wraps I going to use a spatula.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 05:18PM

I picked up some faux sable brushes at my local Ben Franklin's Arts and Craft shop. One is a flat 1/8" brush which is almost stiff enough to qualify as a pallet knife/spatula. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet most rodbuilding needs. They're a tad pricier than the Flex Coat versions, but much nicer. Much nicer. I use Flex Coat Epoxy Brush Cleaner.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster