I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another CP experience/disaster (lengthy post)
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:09AM

I'd been using my 4 oz bottle of Dale Clemens' "Brilliance Color Sealant" for all my thread work over the past several years and have finally run low. I did some reading on this forum and decided to try Flex Coat's CP. I spent over 4 hours doing my first complex butt wrap ( a quad diamond design using various shades ranging from yellow through oranges to reds to create a flame appearance). The wrap was done using "A" weight Gudebrod thread over a gloss black St Croix S2 blank. I put on one coat of the Flex Coat CP in the usual way, going back over with a dry brush immediately after the application to pick up the excess. To my great dissappointment, after drying, the Flex Coat CP completely penetrated the threads and turned the lighter colors very dull due to the blank showing through. The yellows turned to a muddy gray. The wraps were tight, by the way, with no visible gaps between threads.

In the meantime, I wrapped another rod using the same color combinations in a reversing chevron design, same type of black blank, same thread, etc. I used some of the remaining Dale Clemens Brilliance and the colors came out vibrant and true with very little darkening due to the blank showing through.

As a final comparison, I stripped off the first ruined double diamond wrap, carefully cleaned off the excess dried Flex Coat CP with denatured alcohol and repeated the original double diamond wrap, this time coating it with "Brilliance". There was a huge improvement with the Brilliance, keeping the light gold colors (and all the rest) very bright and true with minimal bleed through of the dark blank.

So, I'm ready to toss the Flex Coat CP but I can't find any more Brilliance CP. I'm asking, finally, for a recommendation for a modern CP that retains the maximum color purity when light colored threads are wrapped and CP'd over dark or black blanks. I've been reading other posts about "811". Does this brand keep the colors the truest or is there someting better? Is there still a source for Dale Clemens' Brilliance out there?

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Skip Kerwin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another CP experience/disaster (lengthy post)
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:21AM

Its good to know that there was once a CP type of product on the market that mitigated most of the transparent bleed through. Lots of times you need to paint the blank white under the butt wrap. I have not tried every kind of CP on the market, someone might know of another CP that worked like Brilliance. Was Brilliance an acrylic? because flex coat CP is, that might be one difference and I'm sure there are other non acrylic CP's out there.

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:53AM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Both products are water clean-up. I don't know if that makes them acrylic or not. One other difference is the viscosity. The Brilliance is about the consistency of light whipping cream (making you think it would penetrate more deeply). The Flex Coat is the consistency of an enamel paint (making you think it would sit on the surface more). The reverse is apparently true however.

As for painting the blank or using a light underwarp, part of the color scheme for the two wraps I mentioned depends on a dark background at the outer edges of the wrap. The dark background "finishes" the color gradation from light at the center to dark at the edges.

Skip

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 02:20PM

Skip. Shoot me an email. I think I can hook you up with some brilliance CP.

flathead4@comcast.net

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:07PM

As skip mentioned he does I've had to paint the blank 1st with krylon white spray paint primer which is flat in color before using cp on certain color combos when doing repairs.

I got burned a few times by cp before I stopped using it, so I am not much help here. It's a shame you had to strip your threadwork and redo it again. Time and thread wasted.

Robert Greene, another user here, is quite knowledgeable in the use of cp and may be able to help out. Maybe he can follow up with a post here or if not drop him an e-mail.

Lou

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:59PM

I've compared Brilliance, FC, and 811 side by side, on a lightly colored closed wrap with a dark pattern and 811 came out by far the best over the "white" acryllics. But that was with Madeira, not Gudebrod.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 05:35PM

Mike, this is probably a stupid question, but do you think that the thread would make that big of a difference????

Tony

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 05:52PM

Tony, probablly not, but I've never tried all three CP's on a closed Gudbrod wrap.

Posted by: greg zechman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:06PM

who makes 811 and is this available now?

Posted by: greg zechman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 10:14PM

what a dummy ..found answer to my own question.........bugsy

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2007 03:03PM

Mike, certainly not questioning you. You have a lot more experience with the fancy stuff than I do, just curious if it would make a difference.

Tony

Posted by: Ron Petley (---.autobahn.mb.ca)
Date: February 19, 2007 10:55PM

I am not glad to see somebody with the same problem. I ordered 118 and got 7 bottles of Flexcoat instead. Tried it out with the same results, blochey and dull colors. So I am now sending it back. I have used 811 with a lot less problems ( not 100% mind you). I have never used brillance if you or somebody would be so kind as to post a source I would be happy to order up a bottle or two.
Cheers Ron.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster