I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nicked blank, guide placement
Posted by: Jay Stewart (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 11:54PM

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I have an 8 wt fly rod which I wrapped about 5 years ago. Recently I noticed the guide rings in the two strippers were cracked and sharp as razors. Before removing the guides I further noticed that the blank has a small nick in it – immediately adjacent and below one of the wraps.

So where do I replace the double-foot stripping guide in relation to the nick? Above? Below? Or with the nick centered between the two guide feet? Intuition tells me to center the nick.

I think I came across this once on this board before, but my search skills yielded no catch!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nicked blank, guide placement
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.147.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 12:29AM

If it were me, I would put the nick under at least a part of one of the guide feet where some part of thread/finish can cover it. That will give you somwhat of a splint that can provide a bit more reinforcement than if you located the nick someplace else, even centered between the feet.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 01:33AM

I agree with Mick
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jay Stewart (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 03:31AM

Mick, I liked your idea enough to try it using the lower foot in that manner. The wraps are on the drying motor. Thanks.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:50AM

You may also try a 00 silk under wrap. then lay the guide over the center and do a over wrap with A or 00 silk thread.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 17, 2007 12:14PM

Like Mick McComesky said, the best bet is to place the nick under or along the SOLE of the guide FOOT, thus using the foot as a stiff splint. If the nick is directly in-between the HEELS of the guide feet, then some flexion will occur. Probably the most flexion would occur if the nick were placed between two adjacent guides, and thus increase the chance of a long-term fatigue failure.

Since this nick is nearer the rod-butt than the rod-tip of an 8-wt fly rod, there is less flexion in this section of the rod blank anyway. However, Fly rods probably get more casting flex-fatigue than other styles of rod blanks.

Chances are, Jay, if this nick has been there that long and not been a problem, it will last another 5 years, or more. ... Good Luck, Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster