I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Custom Layups
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:31PM

Anyone have comments on their custom work? Doesn't matter whether it's fly/spin/etc, just curious what other folks have experienced with them... Thanks (in advance) for your replies!

-Scott

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Custom Layups
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:56PM

I have just had a very good experience on the build of an 16/18 wt one piece 8' 4" Revo Fly Rod Blank. I had a number of custom issues to resolve concerning the construction of the blank and materials. The advice given on options available and delivery were completely addressed in prompt email communications. I am taking delivery of the blank day after tomorrow in High Point. All indications provided by the distributor, who has seen the blank, indicate I will be highly pleased. After I get the blank I will let you know the final results. The preliminary consulting work on this blank was not available from any other source.

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 06:11PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 04:31PM

I can't comment on "custom work" per se, however I am now on my third build on CTS products. I am finishing a 7 foot casting rod, the Elite Pro 2/4 kg. I did some test casting with it yesterday and I am very happy with it. This will be my primary lure rod for fishing the Texas Gulf Coast. As soon as I finish this one, I have another of the same blanks to build a second one for my son.

Posted by: Enoch Tay (---.cmri.usyd.edu.au)
Date: February 15, 2007 05:02PM

I had a spin blank built to my specifications. The customer service was very helpful and I always recieved quick replies. The blank took a while to be rolled, but that is expected for a custom job. the color and finish on the blank was fantastic, not to mention the feel of the blank itself!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:07PM

I also have one of there blanks that was custom set up and it is an awesome blank

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:16PM

I've built a couple CTS's, not a custom order, but plain jane bass blanks and my CTS is my favorite rod PERIOD. BEST finish on a blank I have seen, I worked in paint for years and the guys that are spraying these are doing an OUTSTANDING job.

DR

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:31PM

DR I don't think they are sprayed. I was told that "multi-piece blanks get coated using a squeegee method which works well with some paints and not others. One piece blanks get coated via a dip method which works with some paints and not others".

I wish they were then you could get the really cool colors in one piece blanks

Date: February 15, 2007 07:31PM

Stan,

Seems reasonable......they look great no matter how they do it. I agree, they need to offer ALL the colors on ALL the blanks......I never understood why 2pc blanks came in neat colors that 1pc's do not....

DR

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 10:24PM

I just tried to order a one piece in silver and they said no, they were having problems with that color for some reason and they weren't comming out well. Oh well maybe next time?

Date: February 15, 2007 10:28PM

Stan,

I have heard the silver was a "problem" color in the past. I think the tangerine color would make a great crankbait rod color in a popping blank! :-)

DR

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 08:16AM

Duane, the reason the 2 pc. blanks come in certain colors that the 1 pc. do not is because the multipiece blanks get coated with a "squeegee" method as opposed to a dip method for the 1 pc. The squeegee method only works on 2 pc. blanks because the difference in diameter between the butt and tip of the individual sections on a multipiece is much less than say the difference in the butt and tip on a single piece. If you run a single piece flip stick through a squeegee you end up with a much thicker film of paint on the tip section, than on the butt section. The add to that that only certain colors like Golden Plum and Golden Olive don't look right when they are dipped....they have to be run through a squeegee to get the right effect.

As for Custom layups, the client doesn't actually get to draw out their own flag pattern, specify material types and mandrel specs. What normally happens is the client needs a certain length, or a little more (or less) power or a more distinct lockup in a certain section of an already existing taper. So we really modify existing tapers to suit the clients needs.....more of a variation on an already existing theme rather than a whole NEW design. Certainly the possibility of developing a whole new taper is there, but those types of projects are normally reserved for large quantity orders for private label builders.

We'll probably be requiring a minimum quantity or an upcharge for these types of custom designs, as they require quite a bit of extra labor and time.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: February 16, 2007 09:56AM

Thanks Andy!! :-)

DR

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 16, 2007 03:54PM

I've been very pleased with the 1 and 3 piece blanks I've worked with. My golden plum 3 piece spinning rod has been mistaken for a Sage TCR custom spinning rod more than once. LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster