I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FLEX COAT OR NOT?
Posted by: STEPHEN GONZALEZ (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 01:19PM

I AM GETTING READY TO DO MY FIRST ROD. SALT WATER. I HAVE SPOKE TO A FEW DIFFERENT SHOPS AND THEY HAVE SAID DIFF THINGS. IT WILL WORK, IT @#$%&, IT IS ALL I WOULD USE TO I WOULD NEVER TOUCH IT.
THIS IS FOR A SALTWATER ROD. DOES IT YELLOW? DOES IT PEEL A LITTLE? NEED A LITTLE HELP.

STEPHEN GONZALEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 01:26PM by STEPHEN GONZALEZ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLEX COAT OR NOT?
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 01:27PM

All the different brands of finish turn yellow when in the sun. I use nothing but Flexcoat. Jesse

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 01:43PM

Nothing wrong with FC. If someone had a problem with peeling I'll bet they waited to long between coats without proper surface preperation. Aplly subsequent coats between 8 to 24 hours after previous coats. If you wait longer you need to hit the last coat with a scotchbrite pad

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 01:43PM

I have used Flex Coat for as many years as it has been on the market. The bulk of the rods I make get heavy saltwater use by very avid fishermen. I does yellow but for some reason I cant get it to yellow as much as some have said. It has as good a characteristics as you could want. I have moved to Threadmaster for use with White threads because it seems to stay clearer but have had some problems with bubble formation which is most likely due to the method I use to apply and level it or just not having figured out how to use it right. I do however use Flex coat more often because the colors I often use are less altered by minor yellowing.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:06PM

lol if its good enough for st croix then its good enough for me

check there web site the main pic is the st croix finishing room and they doing hundreds in there

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:07PM

Stephen, FlexCoat is a great product. I use it often, and the rods I have built over 10 years ago still look great. All finishes have their pluses and minuses. All have their fans and critics.
Good luck.

Posted by: John Anderson (69.147.7.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:56PM

Flex Coat Company certainly stands behind and supports all of the above posts.

John Anderson
Flex Coat Co., Inc.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 05:06PM

I have used Flex Coat products since the late 70's. The owner of the company got me started building rods. I still use them on a daily basis, if not on a rod, then coating heads on saltwater flies. I also use Threadmaster. Both great products sold by two Texans that I know and admire and have been very helpful to me. No problems here with either brand.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 09:34PM

It gets down to personal preference. We all use finishes and have better results with brands more due to our own variation in application and in shop environment.

For finish quality and leveling with minimal overage, I personally prefer FC lite over threadmaster, but only slightly. The working time on TM is a little longer, but cure time is quicker and seems to be somewhat better on the yellowing front.

I use both in the shop and it's hard to have a clear preference from a visual/appearance other than long-term yellowing with lighter colored thread. TM would be better. For a new person that may not have the knack about how much to put on, FC lite might be a better starting point.

I'm anxious to try the new TM lite when Andy makes it available. Could have the best of both worlds in this product.

Terry

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 16, 2007 02:23PM

One good thing about Flex-coat is that they do not change the formulation every 6 months. I started with Flex-coat. I read all the posts and adds about all the new miracle finishes. I would try one. It would not work right. Then I would read that the "problems were fixed" and they had changed the formulation. Sucker that I am I would try it again. It was like having to learn a whole new product everytime I bought a bottle of finish. And for me, none of them worked much better than the Flex-coat. I am back to flex coat to stay now.

Posted by: Matthew Cederquist (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 18, 2007 11:30AM

I have used Flexcoat for years buld several freshwater rods and have only one yellow on me. There are two reasons that I belived this happened. The room temp was cold,and my finish was going bad.

I've hunted and fished almost every day. The rest have just been wasted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster