I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral rods and baitcasters
Posted by: alexander morales (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 10:56AM

Hey everybody got a question.has anybody had a problem with the line pileing to one side of the spool when useing spiral wrapped rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral rods and baitcasters
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2007 11:07AM

Depends on many factors, such as what you're retrieving and reel spool width. Rich Forhan addresses this with his Revolver Rod type wrap which offsets the butt guide to the opposite side of the spiral so that the line is always coming onto the spool from a dead-on 0 degrees.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 11:10AM

On the small reels like bass or steelhead rods, no problem. On some of the sturgeon rods with wide spool reels I've had a small pileup on some, nothing big enough to worry me.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 11:10AM

If you are referring to baitcasting related to bass fishing - if done incorrectly yes. Best answers can be found described in book link below.

[www.revolverrod.com]

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 12:26PM

If set up properly, no.

I use a lot of round baitcasters, especially for Muskie. 6500 series Abu's.

When set up properly there is no line piling.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:49PM

Some reels like to stack the line up to one side as I have seen this happen on a traditional guided casting rod. I like tio feel the line just beforeit enters the reel as vibration does come up the line even after it touches a guide ring or three, so I can push the line to the other side of the spool if it lkeeps stacking to one side. I bet half the time this happens it because of the reel, and wider spools are are than narrow spool. plus it depends on where the line guide stops on most baitcasting reel, the line guide is not syncronized like it is on the better abu round reels as you reel in. (some round rells dont have this syncro feature) as this does cause friction on the cast as the line guide must move then also as the spool spews out line. If the line guide stops off to one side on a few casts then it piles up to one side and soon thats waht you have. Lots of back lashes (professional overruns) occur because the line guide is not syncronized and has stopped way over to one side during the cast itself, and the line has to unspool abruptly travel sideways from one side of the spool to the other before it encounters the line guide and then the line coming off the spool on the side where the line guide stops comes off much easier as the line guide is directly over where it is coming off the spool.

I was hoping by now that a reel Mfg would make a baitcasting reel that had a self centering line guide, that centered itself when you pushed the free spool button. This would only help the low profile baitcasters and only on the casting end ot things not the reeling in evenly aspects brought up in this thread. The only thing close are some of those ABU round reels with the syncro line guide, but that can get messed up too, and out of sync with the line that coming off the spool below it , and then also pile up line to one side of the spool. I can think of several ways this can happen can you. But I've said enough here, and am way to lazy to type more, so if want more detail buy my book ....

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:24PM

On bass rods I set my stripper guide about 5/8 degrees toward the side I am spiraling around and have never had a problem. The line guide on the reel dictates were the line goes not the stripper guide on larger reels or reels with out line guide it might be a problem.

Posted by: Chris Means (---.unknwn.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 08:31PM

Did anyone else have a problem when trying to open that link?

Let's fish,
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster