I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

waterslide decal
Posted by: darren tucker (---.pppoe-dynamic.nl.aliant.n)
Date: February 13, 2007 05:19PM

Just printed my first decal using inkjet decal material and inkjet printer.When I put the decal in water to remove it from the backing paper the lettering washed off. What is going wrong?
Darren Tucker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: waterslide decal
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 05:37PM

Darren,
You need to first seal the decal. I personally use Krylon clear that I get from Home Depot. I make all my own decals and have never had a problem. Randy.

Posted by: walter son (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 07:46PM

DARREN WOULD LIKE TO TRY THIS CAN YOU GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION.

Posted by: Steven E Haines (70.151.104.---)
Date: February 14, 2007 08:38AM

I've heard it's not possible to print white lettering on clear background material, is this correct? I like to number my rods and I'd rather put a custom decal on instead of writing in a white paint pen.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 01:47PM

I don't think any inkjet printer is capable of printing in white. That's why colors printed on a clear decal material disappear on a dark blank, too. They first need a white undercoat printing, then the color on top of that so it's visible over the dark backgrounds. I use an Alps printer to accomplish this task. They have white cartridges available and work very well for waterslide decal work.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steven E Haines (70.151.104.---)
Date: February 14, 2007 02:15PM

Any ballpark figures on how much this would cost do start up your own? Is it worth it if you're only building a few dozen rods a year or is it easier to get a decal maker to print what you want?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 07:03PM

The machines can't be / aren't sold in the US as new. That's the biggest problem. On-line @#$%& is where I purchased mine. There can be problems with doing that, but I had none when I did it. It's the only thing I've ever bought that way in my life, BTW. They can be bought as new, but without warranty (some goofy tariff deal or something - just a guess on that), from Australia.

The convenience of being able to print a waterslide whenever I need one is WELL worth it to me, I guess. I've actually ordered a new one just for a back-up machine because I am worried that if the one I'm using ever broke down, I wouldn't know what to do without it, now.

I can make decals of photos of anything (with a little work on the 'puter first) and also two colored, bordered decals of my own designs which is kinda of neat, too. Over top of marbling, the bordered, two colored ones are really the way to go.

I would guess, getting one with some cartridges from an on-line @#$%& might still be doable for around the $250 mark or so. Just a ballpark figure, though. I've heard there's getting to be less and less of them available, so that price may have gone up somewhat.

They have separate cartridges for each of the available colors; metallic in gold, silver, blue (cyan), and red (magenta). Standard colors in white, black, yellow, blue, green, and "multicolor". Also, there is a clear finish cartridge for printing photographs on standard papers to put a glossy covering over it. Might have missed some, but that's all the ones that I have here.

For most persons, a decal making site is probably the way to go, but for me, I'm glad that I made the leap into this.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2007 08:08PM

I too use the Alps printer (after talking to Putter) and use it for making all my own metallic decals. I got mine from Australia for about $300 plus shipping. It was new without the warranty and I have had it about a year or so with no problems whatsoever. I think it's worth the money if you do a lot of decals. Randy.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 11:17AM

[www.pulsar.gs]

If Alps does not plan to support for the future this is an alternative that does work. There are several pictures on the Photo Board of results that look quite promising.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster