I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making encapsulated grips and hozels.
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:21PM

To cast something you need a mold in which to cast it. I have found the one to one mold making rubber sold by Micro-Mark [micromark.com] works best of all the products I have tried for this step. First thing to do is make a full scale model of the grip or hozel that you want to cast. You can use foam or cork on a mandrel of 1/2"[grips] or 3/4" [hozels] PCV pipe. Coat the model with 2 or 3 coats of rod finish to provide a smooth hard surface on which to form the interior surface of the mold. This model should have about 1" of it's pcv pipe protruding from it's forward end. Take a cardboard tube [center of papertowel roll] and cut it one inch longer than your model. Prepare a small container [ash tray] with a smooth layer of modeling clay at least 1/2" deep. Place the butt of your model aprox.1/8" deep in the clay and ensure it is standing straight up. Mount the tube concentrically around the model and embedded in the clay. In a graduated quart container mix 2 to 3 ounces of the rubber and fill the mold enough to just cover the pipe protruding at the top. After the rubber has set for at least 6 hours pull the cardboard tube from the clay and peel the cardboard off the rubber. Holding the rubber at the top and bottom twist it back and forth and the model will come out of the mold.You now have your rubber mold in which to cast your grip or hozel.You can use metal tubes, scrap blanks, and many other things for the core of your grip, the reason I use pcv pipe is because it can be reamed to make it a bit larger ID if needed. What ever you use you must make sure it will go down the blank far enough to reach it's final resting place. Now you can be creative for the color and design of your core piece. Paint it, cover it with contact paper, make a foot long fancy wrap and coat it with finish then cut it into 4" pieces, same with marbelizing. Glue a pin or emblem on the core, place it in the mold and you are ready to pour. If you use castig resin you will not have air bubble problems but it will have to be buffed which is time consuming and nasty, it will also crack if hit just right. I use Flexcoat rod finish as a coat of finish after sanding it's ready to go. to eliminate air bubbles you must use a motorized mixer or in my case a gallon dispenser with a static mixer. I make hundreds of these so what is good for me is overkill for most of you.There you have it, pick it up and run with it. Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making encapsulated grips and hozels.
Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 06:36PM

That sounds like the cat's meow. I've been making molds out of polyester resin, using basically the same proceedure,but have to be sooooooooooooo careful to completely cover the original with release agent.

Re: Making encapsulated grips and hozels.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 07:03PM

Thanks a Bunch, Jesse!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster