I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

craziest repair job
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 12, 2007 06:25PM

This is the craziest thing I've ever had to do to a rod.
Guy comes in with a 8' 1 pc rod. Says he needs it to be at least 2 pieces. We talk about ferrule options and replacing a few guides and I get around to asking him why he wants a two piece. He hims and haws and finally fesses up. He bought one of those little shoebox Scion cars and the rod is too long to fit in it. I waited until he left before I started laughing.
Just thought I'd share that one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: craziest repair job
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 06:43PM

Use your hole saw to cut a hole in the car roof and sell him a flag! You made my day!

Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:13PM

hey, i have one of those little scion's, i also built an 8' lamiglas 1pc and it fit fine. granted i'm trading it in soon for an suv

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:22PM

Yeah, have him check again. My Son took a GF900M (9') with him car shopping and that lil' Shoebox took it fine corner to corner. Car dealers love seeing some kid looking at window stickers with a fishing rod, lemme tell you. lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:43PM

ever heard of a roof rack ??? they quite popular over here

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:19PM

scion......i cant find the words lol

thats what im going to do when i trade my truck in...bring a rod and make sure it fits haha

Posted by: Anthony Pantuso (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:25PM

Making a one piece into a two piece may change the whole feel of the rod, I would have told him to measure how much room he has, and take the difference off the but or tip. I've been in scions, and they aren't that bad........very roomy.
-Anthony

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 11:06PM

I took my "standard" 7' 1-pc plugging rod (for the piers, that ar enow gone) when I went to buy a Ford Explorer SporTrack. It seemed like it would fit and I was downsizing from a short-box F-150. 9mos later I was back in an F150. One of the things I checked when Ford changed the style to a wider/deeper box was that the rods would make it corner-to-corner.

Fishing comes first. The other priorities (in no particular order: food comes from fishing. Housing is a place to store rods and tackle boxes and waders and to provide a place for the workbench and lathe, and a separate drying room, and a place to nap between tides. Transport is to carry the gear and get to the pier or the beach - and even on the beach.

What more do you need?

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: February 13, 2007 10:36AM

8'6" piece of 2" PVC pipe, mount it on the roof :-) Instant rod carrier!! LOL!

Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 01:41PM

i honestly feel my rods are safer in the passenger compartment then tied to the roof

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 02:18PM

Gary
Take a look at RodMaker volume 4, issue 4. I wrote a rather lengthy article on doing EXACTLY what you consider so humerous. If you've never done this before, the article may help you get started. There is nothing unusual or humorous about this condition, it is a rather common job, and there is no reason why you shouldn't perform it to the complete satisfaction of your customer. There is no reason to smirk behind his back, because there are just lots and lots of of customers out there that have this thing done on all sorts of rods for various reasons. I also commonly make 4 piece rods out of two piece rods.
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster