I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly rod question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:30PM

I was just told by a friend who will be learning to fly fish that he was told by the person who is going to teach him that it will be easier to learn with a 5 wt than a 4 wt (same blank line Batson Forecast 865-2 vs 864-2) He has 2 4 wt blanks and was told it would be harder to learn with them. They will be fishing for Bluegill (Bream??) Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not a fly fisherman (yet?)

He reads this board so how about some input from you guys that know!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 02:53PM by Mike Barkley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod question
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:53PM

Mike

Shouldnt make a difference. If the rod is lined properly any rod should feel the same. I can feel my 7 ft 0 weight load the same as one of my 9 weights.One difference is casting in a wind, larger line weights can be easier to control. But seeing as he is fishing for bluegill (pit or pond?) that shouldnt be an issue. The difference between a 4 and 5 is minimal IMHO as I have several of both in different lengths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2007 04:55PM by Scott Bazinet.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:58PM

The teacher may think the student will find it easier to feel the rod load with a heavier line. If that's his reasoning then he could use a 5 weight line on the 4 weight rod.

Frankly I don't see the need to go to the expense of even for a cheap line. Most fly fishing is done within a short casting range; especially on a 4wt rod.

I learned to cast on a 4wt rod and line by a highly qualified instructor. It was even a windy day. It didn't deter him or me. Is it possible this teacher is not really a skilled instructor?

If I am overlooking something here it won't be the first or last time.

Posted by: William Webster (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:59PM

Did he say that since a 5 wt will be easier than a 4 wt, a 6 wt will be easier still... why not just build a 9 wt and he'll be making 100 ft double hauls in no time. As long as the blank and line are of decent quality, I don't think there should be a problem (I have two forecast fly rods that I built, 3 and 4 wt 2 piece models, and my three year old willl learn on them this summer). One line up to help feel the rod load may be OK, but is by all measures not a requirement. Whether 5 wt combo or 4 wt combo - no difference if matched well. That's my 2 cents, but somebody may think it was overpriced.

Bill Webster

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 05:16PM

Forecast F865-2 5 8' 6" 2 4.90 63

But then again you could forget about AFTMA, CCS test the 864-2 for your friend and balance his rod up properly. As David said he will be casting short so go ELN plus ??
Just a thought

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 05:19PM

If your customer already has the two 4 wt. fly blanks, by all means build on them. Then have your customer take lessons from a certified instructor with the 4 weights. I could teach him enough to fly fish but then I would be teaching him all of my bad habits therefore a certified instructor would be better.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 05:34PM

I agree that a heavier line weight might be easier to use, but I am curious as to the instructor's preferrence. I don't know if I would change rods or line weights to satisfy an instructor's preference without good reason.
Your customer/friend should take the time to find out why, and work on a resolution that allows him to maximize his learning experience with the tools he has, rather than forcing him to move to a new rod.
The principles are the same, regardless of line weight.

Posted by: Matthew Cederquist (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 05:56PM

What realy matters here guys is the customer/freind needs to learn on the weight that he will be useing to fish with. I have tought my 4foot tall 5 year old son to cast with a 9 foot six weight St Croix SCII becouse that is the size that I use most often. Now as for going down to a lighter weight and or shorter rod there will of couse have to be some practice for any of us. My point I guess is to get the basics down and practice practice practice. This time of year my wife likes to dis own me, Becouse right now when the rivers frose over I practice my fly casting while practiceing my turkey calling with my mouth reeds.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 06:19PM

With those two blanks it wont matter, line them properly and they'll work well enough for learning (anything 8' and over with a moderate to moderate fast action). The 5wt will be able to easily cast some larger nymphs and streamers but you're not going to notice that when your learning to cast. If you're going to go after bluegill and other warmer water species I would personally opt for a 6wt which is better suited for the more wind resistant flies that tend to be thrown (poppers and such).

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.atlsf)
Date: February 12, 2007 06:38PM

Perhaps the instructor feels he, the instructor, can cast better with the 5wt and dosen't wish to look inadequate during the lesson.
Herb Ladenheim

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:03PM

there will effectively be no difference in learning on either as far as I'm concerned, all things equal excetpt 4 vs 5

the instructor may think that a 5 wt is better suited to the fishing he wants to do, which is a different debate all together.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:13PM

Mike....... you have just got to take someone up on thier offer to take you fly fishing. If you have the coordination to make an epoxy ramp, you can learn to cast that fly rod. Go for it!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:29PM

When learning it should not make much difference other that what the wind (with heavier wt flys/poppers) is going to do to you as stated before. I like a 3 or 4wt for brookies and sm stream trout in a sm stream, the trouble with bluegills is; they can get big and have a lot of side surface area, plus the fact that they usually are around weeds and can easily get into them, thus need to be draged out of them, I prefer a 5 wt. outfit for this speciifc species

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:29PM

Joshua, It that is the case, I agree with you. One of my good fishing buddies asked me to build him a rod to fish another friend's stocked pond for bream and bass. Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg for a rod, my friend asked me to build him something "affordable." I have chosen a Tiger Eye 6/7 blank. with a DBI of 6.6/65. And thinking along the lines of Steve Wilson, where he makes a very good point, my friend can cast popping bugs for bream which will also catch bass. This rod will cost my friend $65 for the parts, dinner for my wife and I at a good Italian restaurant, a weekend at his beach house, and a fishing trip. All of the parts I got from Blackdog Tackle-good service.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:31PM

The difference between the two RX6 blanks is very, very minor. If an instructor says that he/she can't teach and/or the student can't learn using a 4wt, you should find a new instructor. That's just ridiculous.

I've taught people with their personal rods from 2wt to 10wt. Sure, you have to make some adjustments in timing, but the basic structure of the stroke is the same. Just my 2 cents.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:46PM

As a FFF Certified Casting Instructor and 15 years of teaching flycasting with hundreds of happy successful students, I can promise you that what will will make a difference is the use of a 7 or 8 wt compared to a 4 or 5 wt. when teaching outdoors. When teaching outdoors, a 7 or an 8 weight is optimum-hands down everyday of the week and twice on Sunday! But, if the lesson or instruction is indoors, the differnece between a 4 or a 5 weight in very very minuscule.

My advice is to learn with a 7 or 8 if outside and even inside if the guy has a 7 or 8 wieght rod. If not, hopefully the instructor will have rods with the "CORRECT" flyline for effective instruction. The wrong flyline will be a disaster for both the student and instructor.

Just my humble .02
Paul

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:52PM

learn to tie nets (much easier) like was said a 4 wt or a 5 wt go the whole 9 yards build a 9wt and he`ll really let rip cant really see much in it better to find out why a 4 has been "specked" surly an decent instructor can teach anyone with anything ( i was shown the basics on a 12` " carp rod")

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:22PM

learning to cast has more to do with length than line weight (pending wind of course as was said earlier). The shorter rods are not quite as easy to figure out as the longer rods at first. Also, super "fast" action rods it is a bit less intuitive of a feel for rod loading, so I would say a moderate to mod-fast (I know, eye of the beholder type deal) blank, say 8'6" or 9' (yes, these forecasts are in the mod category to me).

Well, that being said, let me play devils advocate. Sounds like he is going to learn on the water. Depending on how they are fishing for gills, they may actually throw a decent sized popper with some wind resistance. In that case, a 5wt would be better suited for it, though a 4wt would be fine, a 5wt will give a little bit more confidence to the novice caster if there is wind involved though its not necessarily needed.

I'd say build the 4wt, think about maybe a 5 wt also. if you can afford both of em, get both. if you can't, go with whats cheaper. Odds are you'll get addicted and then fill out your arsenal of rods eventually anyways.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 09:01PM

I have absolutely NO IDEA what ALLEN is talking about, and don't know what "specked" means. Since his remarks sound sarcastic, unintelligible, and derogatory of my experience, I will choose to ignore him.

I also agree with Steven about rod choice as well. These may be the most important factors when learning how to cast. The Forecasts are in the moderate catagory to me too.

Paul

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 12:10PM

Paul, I am a little confused about Allen's response myself, but I don't think he was directing his comments about your post. I think when he says "Specked" , I'm pretty sure he was saying "spec'd" or specified, as in specifying a 4 wgt.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster