I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Shakey Head" blank???
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:22PM

I have been asked to build a bass rod that will be used for a method called "Shakey Head". What would be a good blank for this method of fishing? Anything else that I should know about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Shakey Head" blank???
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:46PM

Jim,
I haven't built one specifically for that purpose but there was a fishing show on recently with Kevin Van Dam demonstring the technique. He uses a 7' medium action spinning rod with 8 lb. test. Sorry, I don't recall the exact line rating on the rod. A buddy of mine who bass fishes semi-pro fishes shakey heads using a drop-shot spinning rod. Hope it helps, Randy.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:12PM

I'd think the St Croix 3C68MXF or the Rainshadow ISB 822.5 blank would be about right, I'd look for a 6 ft 8 in to 7 ft.extra fast tipped blank 6 to 10 to 8 to 14 lb line classes depending on your rig and where your fishing. I use a 10 lb fluorocarbon line only because that's what's on the reel I like, 8 would also work.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:40PM

Try the Rainshadow RX7 sb822.5 It makes a great shakey head rod.

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:46PM

The RX8+ 822.5 is even better

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 12:23AM

I like any of the St. Croix MLXF's if he is using the lighter weight jigs up to 3/8ths.

Posted by: Russ Blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:21AM

I was looking for a blank for this application a few weeks ago and took the advice of Bob from Custom Tackle Supply and purchased a
Loomis SB 811...............................He was dead on with his recommendation!!! So give it a look before you make your decision as I had originally thought about going with the 3C68MXF. Bob talked me out of it and I can say I am glad he did!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 12:15PM

You may want to look at the 3C69MLXF from St Croix. I think for a shakey worm rod you may want to have a little less back bone. The shakey worm uses a drop shot set up with a plastic worm that you shake with the rod to give it a subtle movement. I would think a stiffer rod would impart to much movement on the worm.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:12PM

Shakey head uses a jighead and a finesse worm. It's the same as "doodling" a worm, except you are moving the lure rather than shaking it in stationary position. The worm is hooked weedless too, so some backbone would be a good idea. I'm thinking a dropshot style blank with a slightly firmer tip would be what you're after.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:23PM

Ted has nailed this one with his post. There are lots of blanks out there, that will come close to doing what you need and I carry the blanks by Batson and St. Croix, that are mentioned. The one that is exactly dialed in for the Shakey Head application is the SB811 Loomis, as Russ mentioned. You can come close to dealing in or dial right in!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:25PM

Bob, what about the G-Loomis DS-820? I'm looking for something that would work well with less than 1/4oz jigs, or does the SB811 work well outside of its stated range?

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:59PM

Steve -- The DS820, Loomis Drop Shot blank is a little light for shakey head fishing. The SB811 is only rated down to 1/4 oz. but I have fellows throwing 3/16 oz heads on it. The tip is soft enough to throw lighter than it is rated and has fantastic butt power for hook set.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 07:00AM

The SB811 is a spinnerbait technique specific blank, but what lends it so well to shakey head is that it has more backbone. Spinnerbaits have much stouter hooks, so a shakeyhead jighook through a thinner finesse worm is no problem. The Dropshot's tip is soft, and it's midsection quite forgiving too, as it is meant to cushion very light line. For light head shakey, you'll need the light tip to cast light heads, but the rod has to power up straight away to sink the hooks. So either a firmer DS (maybe trimming the 820) or a spin jig model would suit better for the lighter jigheads. A 1 or 2 powered Loomis SJ might work well, or maybe the spin bass series from Batson.

Technique might well come into the picture too. Braided line or mono/fluoro?

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:52PM

Ted, I'm looking at using 6-8lb fluoro (maybe some braid on a second spool). I was thinking this technique would also work well for walleye at certain times of the year as well as bass. Generally for Walleye we go with jigs a bit lighter than typically used for Bass. Of course I would like to try the G Loomis blanks they use for their Shakey Head rods (SHR821, SHR822) but unfortunately they aren't for sale as blanks yet (I wrote and asked G Loomis last night). Anyhow, the SB811 is fairly inexpensive so it wouldn't hurt to try

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster