I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay hook latch
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:04PM

Has anyone used the new Pac Bay hook latches? They look really user friendly, but it is hard to tell how durable they are in the catalog pic's. Also, does anyone know if someone has them in stock?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay hook latch
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 06:13PM

We just got the rest of them after a bit of a wait. We'll have them up on our "Miscellaneous" page as soon as I can take the pics and load the data base. Probably not until after High Point though.

They're very user friendly almost to the point of being "stupid simple".

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Chris Means (---.unknwn.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 08:24PM

I am also wondering about the durability of those hook latches.

[phoenixblazerods.com]
I have been using these, I like them but they rust.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2007 10:56PM

You can bend these up out of .030 stainless wire. Same stuff we use for making spinners.

I made some samples of a similar style for one of the guys on the board just to see how they came out. Too simple. I may never buy another hook keeper, unless someone wants black.

Terry

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 07:53AM

We have also started carrying these hookkeepers or hook latches as the are called by Pac Bay. Being a brand new item, it's hard to completely say about the durabiltiy factor, but I don't see that there would be a problem. This is a really neat item. When fishing pastics, where a hook is rigged for texas style fishing or drop-shot rigged, the hook latch will hold the hook, without taking the hook out of the pastic, when rigged.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2007 02:42PM

Chris,

I have had them rust too. Contact them and they will replace. The original ones were made from spring steel (the fabricator thought they would be better). the new ones are "supposed" to be stainless. I'm waiting on my new supply of them now. They are replacing the rusty ones and all the othes I had in stock. I still have some of the old ones tied up, but as long as they don't contact salted baits, they will be ok.

Scott

ps. Mark, sorry for the hijack, Chris's email is hidden

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 13, 2007 04:06PM

I just received a bunch of them from Mark on Monday. Funny thing is - Coleen didn't know what the price was and Mark was out on a boat (tough life) so she just mailed them out to me no charge until they sort it out.

Great service from @#$%&!!! Thanks Mark & Coleen!

Oh - they look great and will be perfect for plastics like Bob mentioned and also good for live bait guys that want to run & gun to another spot without taking the minnow or leech of the hook.

Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster