I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

chucking tip sections
Posted by: John E Meyer (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 12:16PM

I've been using a Sully's motor for awhile now (which I dislike a whole lot - but that's a different topic). Does anyone have any recommendations for a better method of chucking tip sections while drying - either with a Sully's motor or a different motor? The wooden ferrule thing is awful to use. A 3-jaw setup would work well, but I need something to grip onto so I can still finish my ferrule wraps.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: chucking tip sections
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.ssimicro.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 12:42PM

I have been using a scrap piece of blank with a couple of inches of cork mounted on it. It's like chucking a handle that way. Granted you may have to make several depending on how many different rod sizes you routinely build but If you make them about a foot long each one will work on several sizes of rods. I also use these while wrapping my ferrules, makes life a little easier for me.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:57PM

Instead of using a tapered wooden dowel to insert into the female ferrule, I use a tapered (whittled) glue stick. The stick tapers gradually from its original diameter to around 1/8”. This easily wedges into the female ferrule and is flexible enough that it flexes as the rod turns, without dislodging.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 03:04PM

One wood dowel and masking tape as needed.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 06:09PM

John, I find that all chucks, adjustable or non-adjustable, having their particular quirks.

I like Jim Shafer's suggestion, as long as the chuck is adjustable. But Sully's is a "friction" fit unless I'm mistaken. I found a website that ilustrated the wooden dowl procedure, using masking tape to adjust for thickness and to add a little more holding power. Flex-coat drying motors, which use the rubber friction-fit chucks, and which I used many times in the past, also requires a "custom-made" tool in order to finish tip sections. I made a tool using a section of broken rod. I wrapped masking tape into a ping-pong ball-sized ball onto the end that went into the chuck, and wrapped rubber bands, cross-wise, between the chuck and the tool to ensure the rod wouldn't work itself out of the chuck during rotation. You might consider something along those lines.

I've also made my own finishing motor assemblies using pvc end caps and 3 nylon thumb screws. The screws are soft enough to prevent marring the rod tip, but have enought friction to hold the tip. You can also install rubber caps on the end, but I found that unnecessary.
The neat thing about this setup is that you can down-size the chuck to accomodate the rod tip section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 06:15PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: John E Meyer (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 06:47PM

Thanks guys. Great ideas. Yes, the Sully's is a friction fit chuck and isn't adjustable at all. I'm not a huge fan of the motor - it's pretty rough.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 06:48PM

I use the PVC cap with the plastic screws also but I use rubber bands to hold the blank(Screw-skip a screw-screw). will hold Small blanks (hope thats clear)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 07:10PM

I also prefer the pvc chucks with 4 screws and rubber band. For me it's much faster and easier and works on diameter (even a fly tip)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 07:17PM

I also use the PVC cap with nylon screws. But I use a thread spool with a scrap piece of blank that will fit into the female ferrule to hold the tip section. If you have a male tip section you could just put that in the spool. If it's smaller than the spool opening wrap masking tape around it to fit snugly. Works for me!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 08:19PM

Bill, Great re-use of a resource. I'll have to save some of my spools and try that. I'm an old scrounger from the word go!

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 11:09AM

I bought a chuck from Jann's (about $24.00). I wrap enough masking tape on the rod end to provide a good grip. I have turned cork and shaped EVE with this method.

Dan Hogan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster