I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Curing Threadmaster....
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:26AM

I used Threadmaster finish for the first time yesterday. First, my working area is quite chilly, and I do not have a heated drying box. I warmed the resin slightly before mixing, but after 12 hours the finish is still tacky to the touch. Less tacky than after 8 hours, but still tacky. Given the temperature (a little above 60 degrees), will it set up in time, or am I going to have to redo this? As time passes, it seems to be improving, but will it harden sufficiently in these conditions? Thanks.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curing Threadmaster....
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:35AM

i usually let it go for a day and see what its like(but it rarely gets down in the 60s here in south florida) and if its still tacky then you probably didnt get the mixture right or didnt mix well enough....a good mix and recoat will fix it if it doesnt cure

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-132.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 12:23PM

Get the temp up. Take it into your bedroom or Kitchen.....none of the resins on the market were made to work optimally in the temps you're using it at. At 68 degrees TM will be tack free in 4-5 hours provided you mixed and measured correctly.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 12:50PM

Andy can you use Threadmaster over Diamondite cp?

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:38PM

Hunter...

By the way it sounds, you didn't the mixture exact. I apply TM all the time at temps around 60-64 and have not encountered any problems yet. Aslo, how many cc's of each did you mix? As I'm sure you know, the less cc's of each, the greater the need for exact measurments.

Good luck....
PAul

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:40PM

Hunter,
If your working area is in the low sixties, your rod and wraps are also likely to be at that temperature. At the very least, take your rod into a warm area of the house for some time prior to applying finish. Or better yet, stand it up near your heat vent or radiator in the warmer portion of the house. The TM will flow much better if the rod and wraps are warm. This may also help start the curing process.

Jeff

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 05:45PM

I fully agree to put it in a warm area of the house, but I'm not sure if I'd purposfully put it near a vent. Somewhere where the air is more static would be good in my opinion. Best of luck.

Jay

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 05:52PM

Maybe my entry wasn't clear. My suggestion was to warm the rod and wraps prior to applying epoxy, not after.

Jeff

Date: February 10, 2007 06:19PM

Well, the measurements were pretty exact. I am not terribly concerned there. Mixing was thorough, and the epoxy performed exactly as expected. This old house is fairly chilly at the moment, so that is probably the problem. I guess I'm going to have to move the rod somewhere warmer for a while and give it some more time. Thanks for all the replies.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 06:39PM

Hunter, from the way it sounds I don't think you're going to have any problems. Best of luck.

Jay

Date: February 10, 2007 09:26PM

Okay, just to wrap up this thread, while I didn't mention it earlier, this was just a repair job. I replaced a single guide. After getting the above feedback, I pulled out an old radiator-type space heater and suspended the guide in question about 18" above it. After a couple of hours, the repair is fine and the finish is just fine. Thanks for all the help.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Good Lord deliver us!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster