I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas BT 96 8S
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 11:24AM

Just bought this blank (price was right), Now, I need a little guidance with guides and reel seat selection.
I was told they call it a snook blank ????, any way if you have personally built on this blank could you please help with guide selection and reel seat selection, below are the rod spec's.
MODEL BT 96 8S LENGTH 8' SECTIONS 1 BUTT OD 1.070 TIP SIZE 30 LINE WT (lbs) 50

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas BT 96 8S
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 12:08PM

Are you sure it has a 30 tip? I have only seen that size tip on blanks used for Gaffs. A 29 can be found on some 130# class rods. I don't think there has ever been a snook on the planet that would be a require such a rod. At least not unless they were mutants created by readiation from an underwater nuclear explosion. Godzilla meets Snookie!

Date: February 09, 2007 12:13PM

With calipers the butt measures 1.09 or 28 mm

the tip measures .44 or 11.5 mm

The tip is almost 1/2" a size 14 roller tiptop will fit inside the tip!

I was told snook I live in Oregon and have never fished for snook so I don't know anything about them.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 12:28PM

Tim,
Could you provide more information? I assume you want to build a casting rod but we all know what happens
when we ASSUME!
Could you be more specific with what you are trying to do?

Have you read the FAQ and Library sections here regarding guide choice and placement?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: February 09, 2007 12:40PM

Hi Ray,
What I'm thinking of is, more of a boat rod for halibut in Alaska, I am going to use Hyplon grips, I was thinking more towards the Batson three leg style boat guides, with some kind of reel seat Alu or SS. Finding a tiptop I think is going to be the hard part.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 02:06PM

8ft is a bit to long for a bottom rod IMHO
I would be looking for a 6ft to 61/2ft blank myself if I were to build a halibut rod

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 09, 2007 04:15PM

Not sure I'd fish snook with it, to heavy powered. I'd use it as a cod rod, or some other similar use.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 04:36PM

The only Lamiglas blank I found with BT96 is the BT96-3M-B ... a fiberglass boat/trolling rod. That definitely won't work for snook, unless you plan on beating him to death with it - in that case, you have the right weapon. According to their specifications (I won't go there), the rod has a 0.77 butt diameter and takes a size 8 tip (8/64" sleeve).

If you are trying to build a snook rod, e-mail me and I will get you off and running. Good luck!

Date: February 09, 2007 06:26PM

I see that blank on the Custom Tackle Supply web site under Lamiglass Boat and Trolling. Since it does not appear in the latest Lamiglass catalog I would suspect this is is a dicontinued product. It is definitely of the weight class for Halibut but as mentioned by others the length is a definite drawback. When a strong fish applies pressure to the tip of that rod the added length actually works in favor of the fish. Not only is this blank very heavy but you are likely to be spending a good amount of time (an lots of energy) jigging a heavy spoon in pretty deep water. Add it all up and this blank will make you work much harder than necessary. I would trim it down from the tip if you can find a tip that will fit the new dimension.

Personally I would seek to return it and get a much better blank for this purpose. There are some great blanks out there which will work for you as oppesed to working against you. Many sponsoring suppliers are having year end special sales on some truly great blanks from companies such as Graphite USA, Seeker, and others. Even if you have to pay full price for a blank ideal for Halibut fishing you will be better off in the long run.

I know there are St. Croix blanks for Halibut that weigh even more but the point is to find one that is comfortable, in both length and weight and which can raise a large Halibut from the bottom.

This an ideal application for the a Bumper Wrap. I like the Simple Bumper Wrap with the actual Bumper guide placed on the same side of the rod as the reel handle. This will provide an unobstructed side of the rod if you need to lay it down. It is not any more difficult to build in this layout as in a conventional manner.

Date: February 09, 2007 06:26PM

I see that blank on the Custom Tackle Supply web site under Lamiglass Boat and Trolling. Since it does not appear in the latest Lamiglass catalog I would suspect this is is a dicontinued product. It is definitely of the weight class for Halibut but as mentioned by others the length is a definite drawback. When a strong fish applies pressure to the tip of that rod the added length actually works in favor of the fish. Not only is this blank very heavy but you are likely to be spending a good amount of time (an lots of energy) jigging a heavy spoon in pretty deep water. Add it all up and this blank will make you work much harder than necessary. I would trim it down from the tip if you can find a tip that will fit the new dimension.

Personally I would seek to return it and get a much better blank for this purpose. There are some great blanks out there which will work for you as oppesed to working against you. Many sponsoring suppliers are having year end special sales on some truly great blanks from companies such as Graphite USA, Seeker, and others. Even if you have to pay full price for a blank ideal for Halibut fishing you will be better off in the long run.

I know there are St. Croix blanks for Halibut that weigh even more but the point is to find one that is comfortable, in both length and weight and which can raise a large Halibut from the bottom.

This an ideal application for the a Bumper Wrap. I like the Simple Bumper Wrap with the actual Bumper guide placed on the same side of the rod as the reel handle. This will provide an unobstructed side of the rod if you need to lay it down. It is not any more difficult to build in this layout as in a conventional manner.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 07:42AM

That blank was very popular for Cod Jigging in the NE area, before Lami came out with there more popular CGBT series of blanks. Big fat pool cue that eats alot of thread and finish!!

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 03:12PM

Tim,
that blank has been built for years as a Cod Rod in the NE. I can guarantee you that it isn't a Snook rod. Depending upon the manufacture time it had either a 28mm or 30mm top. This blank is very soft in action and too long for Halibut. Even the BT963M would probably not be a good choice for Hali's. I would recommend looking for something in the 6' - 7' range rated in the 60-80 lb. range. A blank like our GFC72XXH is a perfect fit.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster