I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

buying a power wrapper
Posted by: Lance Dunham (---.ppp.twnd.epix.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 10:29AM

I used the search button because I'm sure this has come up many times, but I can't find it so forgive me if this is a redundant question.
I want to buy a power wrapper, but there are so many out there and I only want to buy this once.
Which power wrapper would you recomend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: buying a power wrapper
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2007 10:45AM

Depends on the level of rod building you're wanting to be involved in. The Renzetti Master Rod Lathe or the Anglers Workshop Custom Power Wrap are arguably the two top level machines around. Do you need everything that they're capable of? If so, I'd buy one of those. If not, you might look at any of the machines from Pacific Bay, Batson Enterprises or American Tackle. They're very capable machines in their own right, although not quite on the same level as the previous two mentioned. But, they only cost about half as much, or even less, as those.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 12:27PM

If you are going to the Show,most of the Available wrappers will be there to look at and Try?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2007 12:53PM

Yes, all but the Custom Power Wrap.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 08, 2007 02:23PM

Lance, They all do the job well enough; some better than others, so it may come down to cost and precision. Space might also be a consideration.

I have owned a Batson power-wrapper for several years now, and use it for much of my rod building work. I like it for the fact that I can shape cork. It does a decent job, and I have the flexibility to use it for power wrapping, or for use as a finishing setup.

If you are looking to perform manual wrapping, some power-wrapping, and occassional cork-shaping, any of the power wrappers from Cabela's, Pacific Bay, Batson Enterprises, Flex-Coat, or American Tackle will do the job well enough. The are similarly built, using the same or similar components. Some are probably interchangeable.

But I found that even with the latest upgrades (better chuck, rod supports), they are not as precise as to what I can achieve on a mini or standard lathe from Jet, Delta, Craftsman, etc., or possibly on a Renzetti. I don't own a Renzetti, or have ever used one, so I can't really speak to its capabilities or precision from personal experience.

I would not mind owning one, or even the custom power wrapper, but I think my wife would hang me if I spent any more money on power wrappers. :>)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2007 05:26PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 03:45PM

Lance , take a look at the Flexcoat DL747 .

Robert

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 07:09PM

I bought an a used Clemens lathe which was built by Renzetti. I wish I had purchased a new Renzetti instead. As it turned out I had to replace several costly parts to bring the Clemens up to date. By the time I add a foot pedal, 8 spool thread carriage and a new Rolling Carriage I will have spent as much as it costs for a new unit. The only difference is in the rail beds. The Clemens has 4 foot (48")sections while the Renzetti has 3 foot (36") sections. I like the 48" rail beds. These are not compatible; but all other parts are interchagable between Clemens and Renzetti.

I keep 2 sections connected which creates an 8 foot bed. I can attach a third section if working on a long one piece blank or use it as a separate hand wrapping station.

I highly recommend the Renzetti or Clemens Lathes for a few reasons. They are extremely accurate and flexible. The rod supports position the blanks high above the rails which makes for very easy access. You can repostion the Rolling Carraige/Thread Carriage to any place along the blank without having to unlock the blank. The indexing head stock is great for lining up guides and cross wraps. The Renzetti is heads above all others for strength and durability. The many accessories cover almost every function one would want. The knobs are large and easy to tighten and release, the rails are incredibly strong and true and all parts are built to last many lifetimes. These lathes retain their value better than any others so if you ever choose to sell one you will recoup most of your cost.

If you don't wish to invest in a Complete lathe you can purchase the basic lathe. You can even start with just the rails and the thread & roller carriages and two supports. This will make an excellent hand wrapper. Then you can add parts as you go. This is especially useful for wrapping multi-piece fly rods.

Andy Renzetti and his great staff provide excellent customer support. I cannot say enough kind words about the Renzetti company or their lathe.

I believe their lathe stands in a class of its own; with all others taking up the rear. The Custom Power Wrapper is a very good machine but still several steps behind the Renzetti. In automobile comparisons the Renzetti would be a Ferrarri; the Custom Power Wrapper, a Ford GT and all the others (Flex Coat, Pac Bay, Batson, etc.) are Mini Vans. They will all get you there but the experience will be totally different.

If I ever need another rod lathe it will be a new Renzetti. No doubt about it.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 09:35AM

I bought a Renzettii about a year ago because I wanted the best available. Having said that I find that I seldom use the power feature.
I have been rotating the rods by hand free of the chuck.??? The rods are mostly Fly and lite spinning. And I have a Grizzley Hobby Lathe I use for turning grips.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 12:28PM

Dan, Have you turned grips on the Renzetti? How do they come out on the Grizzly?

Posted by: Mike Mrosko (---.66.res.logixcom.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 03:55PM

Robert Tignor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance , take a look at the Flexcoat DL747 .
>
> Robert & Ray
> (804) 966-7577 - Shop
> (804) 746-9711 - Office
>

That is the one I am looking to get. Anyone have experience with it? I was hoping to get to see one before I made the plunge.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 07:47PM

Patrick:

I have the standard motor, it works fine for cork, never tried it on wood. I use the Grizzley in the garage for turning cork now. Turning on the Renzetti in my Hobby Room(den?) created too much dust for my SO. I now use the Grizzley in the garage.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 06:03AM

Lance,
Your e-mail is hidden. Email me back I have some info you might ber interested in.

richbet98@sbcglobal.net

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster